Home Q & A Forum
Options

Is this a 1987-P Struck on Clad Stock?

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

Answers

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the edge. You should easily be able to determine if it is clad.

Why didn't you post a pic of the edge? The composition of a nickel is the same as the outer clad layer, so showing pics of the obv and rev doesn't help.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    SpecGotCoinsSpecGotCoins Posts: 213 ✭✭

@Oldhoopster because I read that not all of them necessarily will have the copper nickel clad sandwich look. ✌️

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    @Oldhoopster because I read that not all of them necessarily will have the copper nickel clad sandwich look. ✌️

Look at your pocket change and see how many dimes and quarters don't have the layered sandwich look. It will be a long time until you find one with a completely smeared outer layer (except post mint plated novelty coins)

If you can't see the clad sandwich, why would you think this coin comes from clad stock?

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:

Where did you read that?!

Not here, that's for sure.

There is nothing at all about that coin as pictured that suggests it was struck on clad stock.

I just went through $40 in nickels. It took about one second or less per nickel to review both sides for date and obvious errors. Any more time than that would have been a waste of my time.

My advice is that if you want to find interesting coins, look at more coins, don't look at your coins more closely.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

What is the weight? If normal, then it is not struck on clad. Look at the edge, no copper showing, it is not struck on clad.

• Options
    SpecGotCoinsSpecGotCoins Posts: 213 ✭✭

Thanks @everyone

I love you all ~Spec ✌️