Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay authenticity guarantee question

Is it worth paying a little more? To get a card you want. What do you think?

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

Comments

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Raw card or graded?
    For graded I don't think so. For raw possibly if high dollar. That said, does a CSG statement of raw card authenticity mean anything if you submit the card to PSA later (for example)? I'm not sure it does....

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I know PSA does the authentic. I haven't seen any other grading company do it yet. Raw cards are 250 and graded 750. My Gibson rookie came with it.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 401 ✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2022 12:33PM

PSA isn't going to call it authentic if its not authentic. Even if you have a COA from someone else.

People only opt for Authentic grade if they think having a number grade is going to hurt their return on investment. If you're going to get a 1 or a 2. It's probably better to get the A. Cause then people might think it might number grade as a 3 or higher. There's also the psychological side. An A is a great grade.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m confused by several of these posts. My understanding is that the authenticity guarantee kicks in at a certain price point. So where is there a choice involved?

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I'm also confused on what the OP is asking about.

the eBay Authenticity Guarantee does NOT assign a grade, the program is to ensure that the card is Authentic. From their FAQ Page
    What items are eligible for Authenticity Guarantee?
    Authenticity Guarantee is available for individual sports trading cards, collectible card games, and non-sports trading cards $250 and above for ungraded cards, and $750 and above for graded cards.

Who is authenticating the cards?
    Leading industry experts at Certified Collectibles Group including Certified Guaranty Company (CGC) and Certified Sports Guaranty (CSG) are authenticating raw cards. For graded cards, Professional Sports Authenticator (PSA) is authenticating the sealed plastic holder, not the underlying card.

As far as an assigned grade of "A" for Authentic -- I believe all the major TPG's have that grade -- PSA, SGC, BVG, CSG.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2022 2:51PM

Let me try a clear it up.
    I got a card that came like this.

Should one spend a little more to get the guarantee

• Options

Maybe he's saying, like, if a raw card is 235 dollars. And you're going to buy it, is it worth asking the guy to charge you 250 dollars so it triggers the program.

• Options

@CardGeek said:
    Maybe he's saying, like, if a raw card is 235 dollars. And you're going to buy it, is it worth asking the guy to charge you 250 dollars so it triggers the program.

Yes that's correct.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased a raw prewar card from ebay that qualified for the guarantee assessment based on its price. Great, they verified it as authentic. However, the card had been recolored, such that someone had inked a think line along a crease within a dark background so as to hide the look of it. The price would have been fine if it wasn't recolored, as I could see the crease in the photo and would have been happy with a grade of 2 on it which is what it would have received if it hadn't been recolored. I ended up returning it after I found the recoloring evidence under close examination. Moral of this experience can be summed up with a certain infamous scene we all know and love from the movie Tommy Boy where Chris Farley discusses guarantees on a box (but I probably can't post a link to that here due to some of the language in the scene).

• Options

I'm surprised they let you return it after they verified it. I thought this system was eBay trying to lock people out of returns.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:
    I'm surprised they let you return it after they verified it. I thought this system was eBay trying to lock people out of returns.

I think if the seller allows returns then it is ok for the buyer to return. If the seller lists with no returns then it is a done deal with no returns allowed.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    I purchased a raw prewar card from ebay that qualified for the guarantee assessment based on its price. Great, they verified it as authentic. However, the card had been recolored, such that someone had inked a think line along a crease within a dark background so as to hide the look of it. The price would have been fine if it wasn't recolored, as I could see the crease in the photo and would have been happy with a grade of 2 on it which is what it would have received if it hadn't been recolored. I ended up returning it after I found the recoloring evidence under close examination. Moral of this experience can be summed up with a certain infamous scene we all know and love from the movie Tommy Boy where Chris Farley discusses guarantees on a box (but I probably can't post a link to that here due to some of the language in the scene).

Oh my goodness! This really calls into question the value of the program. I haven't read the eBay documentation, but is it supposed to warn you only for fraud or also alteration?

• Options

@JBrules said:

@CardGeek said:

I think if the seller allows returns then it is ok for the buyer to return. If the seller lists with no returns then it is a done deal with no returns allowed.

The return was directed first to the address of authentication, where they will confirm that it is in the same condition that it was when it went through them the first time. If they agree it is, then they forward it back on to the seller to complete the refund process.

• Options

Forgot to post the follow-up on this in case anyone else goes through the same procedure:

Yes, the card was judged to be in the same condition as when it went through the middle-man authentication guarantee, and so it was sent back to the seller and I got the refund I wanted.

The authentication guarantee escrow does check for a card's authenticity, but it seems it does not go beyond that to make sure all relevant flaws were disclosed in the listing (hidden recoloration, in this case).

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that’s the case, it’s tough to understand how the seller gets the right to refuse returns under authenticity check.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    If that’s the case, it’s tough to understand how the seller gets the right to refuse returns under authenticity check.

I suspect there are a lot of "corner cases" that eBay has not thought through and codified yet.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 9:06AM

I bought these two cards within a few days apart last month....both were sent to eBay's authentication process. But only one was given the QR code and ebay stamp on the back.....why?

• Options

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    I bought these two cards within a few days apart last month....both were sent to eBay's authentication process. But only one was given the QR code and ebay stamp on the back.....why?

I am not sure. Did you check with ebay?

• Options

No......I never proactively try to contact ebay. Just wondering if anyone else here had experienced this.

• Options

eBay has great customer service. You can usually get someone on the phone in like 5-10 minutes when you request that they call you.

• Options

I contacted ebay via CS chat.........the agent couldn't explain how this happened. Said he would look into it and follow up with me. Still waiting.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    I contacted ebay via CS chat.........the agent couldn't explain how this happened. Said he would look into it and follow up with me. Still waiting.

Did they both get shipped in separate boxes from PSA? I'm also assuming the cards were purchased from different sellers?

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

@billwaltonsbeard said:

Did they both get shipped in separate boxes from PSA? I'm also assuming the cards were purchased from different sellers?

Yes, two separate purchases, made within a few days. Tracking for both indicated that they went to ebay authentication prior to final delivery.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:

@Mickey71 said:

@billwaltonsbeard said:

Yes, two separate purchases, made within a few days. Tracking for both indicated that they went to ebay authentication prior to final delivery.

That is just simply wild. This is a PSA issue. Unreal.