doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of Lums

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Never heard of Lums

I had never heard of it either, until I watched "The Irishman" the other night, and now I'm craving Lum's. I was ready to jump in the car and go to Lum's for some famous beer steamed chili dogs, and I did some research and found out they no longer exist, it was a Florida based chain that expanded into other states, but the last one went out of business a while back. I also did some research and found out that a lot of people started craving Lum's after watching this movie. I've decided to buy some Budweiser and pour it in the frying pan with the weinerschnitzel, I'll make my own Lum's!

• Options

We don't have a Lum's, but we do have Stamey's, a famous BBQ joint, they have been in business over 90 years, and they cook their BBQ old fashioned by using a wood pit and smoking it. They keep the wood out back in a big shed and you can smell the smoke and it smells delicious. George W. Bush ate here in the 2000s and he loved the BBQ and the hush puppies!

• Options

They also make chili cheese dogs and fries, I like the white cheese on mine.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lum's was awesome! They were down here in South Florida years ago when I was a kid. Unfortunately they are long gone here.

• Options

The Georgia Pig is the go to bbq spot in Ft Lauderdale! An institution on state road 7 since 1953. Highly recommended to anyone who's in the area!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

or this Lum's from Cal city Ill... :)

• Options

Well, my wife's attitude has certainly been very unsupportive of my dreams of eating at Lum's.

• Options

They can take away my Lum's, but they'll never take away my BBQ!

• Options

And he was constantly eating ice cream throughout the movie, not that cheap store bought stuff, I'm talking about high quality ice cream sundae, like you get at Swensen's!

• Options

DD I want to introduce you to Jaxsons. Another South Florida institution since the 50's. Their ice cream is the star of the show there! It's in Dania Beach not too far from Ft Lauderdale International airport. Yummy!!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Never heard of Lums

how is this possible? there were a few on route 1 . I could walk to the one near the dedham mall from my grandparents house.

Last known lums I went to was in white river junction VT

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

DD I want to introduce you to Jaxsons. Another South Florida institution since the 50's. Their ice cream is the star of the show there! It's in Dania Beach not too far from Ft Lauderdale International airport. Yummy!!

Oh man, you guys have all the good restaurants down there, I'm moving to Florida!

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had LUM'S in Ohio many years ago as it rivaled Arby's with Roast Beef Sandwiches but never lasted long - Wonder if this is the same LUM'S ?????

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:
    Never heard of Lums

how is this possible? there were a few on route 1 . I could walk to the one near the dedham mall from my grandparents house.

I never heard of it. Apparently there was one in Braintree, which isnt too far from where I grew up. if I remember I'll ask some people about it

• Options

If Bob DeNiro says they were the best hot dogs in America, I have no choice but to believe him!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:
    Never heard of Lums

I never heard of it. Apparently there was one in Braintree, which isnt too far from where I grew up. if I remember I'll ask some people about it

Outside the rim of the mall? wasn't there a York steakhouse in that zone too?

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:
    Never heard of Lums

Outside the rim of the mall? wasn't there a York steakhouse in that zone too?

I googled it. There was. Slightly off topic, googling that led me to a list of Braintree restaurants that closed. I never went to the Braintree location, but I went to another one possibly hundreds of times. Anyone else remember Bickford's?

• Options

oh ya been to bickfords

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    oh ya been to bickfords

I hear ya 😂 I drank a lot of coffee there. They were open all night, I believe.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@bronco2078 said:
    oh ya been to bickfords

I hear ya 😂 I drank a lot of coffee there. They were open all night, I believe.

I used to go to a place right across the street from where I live called Borders, it was a bookstore that had a little coffee place inside, and I would walk over there when I got bored and browse through the books and have coffee. They closed the place down, and built a walmart neighborhood market where it used to be. I loved the smell of the place, it smelled like books and coffee!

• Options

double d , borders is way to recent for this kind of thread bring your A game next time

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    double d , borders is way to recent for this kind of thread bring your A game next time

Minnie Pearl's chicken, it went out of business, there was a chicken scandal.

• Options

The circle TV network has hee haw on if you need a minnie pearl fix

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember Wetson's,Red Barn, or Kelly's Hamburgers?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sister met her future husband there while they both worked there. Still together after 38 years. Must be something in those beer laden dogs.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".