Home Q & A Forum

Is there a real reason to drill a hole in a coin- Jewelry?

Hello! I grabbed just a few things from the barrel that my great-grandma left me. Bittersweet reading her handwriting on some of the envelopes. This 1828 50 cent piece has a hole drilled in it. She had written on the envelope “Money isn’t jewelry.” I wondered if people really did use money as jewelry? I’ve included a 1952 D wheat penny just because it’s so pretty and shiny! The dent in it is probably just damage.

Best Answers

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Welcome to the forum! :)

Nice coins :)

Yes, holes were drilled to attach to a necklace or key chain.
    There are collectors for holed coins. ;)

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 9:32PM Answer ✓

@JJewlz said:
    Is there a real reason to drill a hole in a coin- Jewelry?

Yes. Coins with holes have also been used as tools.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

There is no better washer than a large cent with a hole thru the center. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I would NEVER drill a hole in a valuable coin but you inevitably come across some with holes already drilled. My wife likes to wear them and I encourage it. Makes gift buying a lot easier.

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:
    I would NEVER drill a hole in a valuable coin but you inevitably come across some with holes already drilled. My wife likes to wear them and I encourage it. Makes gift buying a lot easier.

More than likely when some of these coins had holes drilled in them the coins we're not considered valuable, much as a 2022 Cent is not considered valuable today.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Answers

• JJewlzJJewlz Posts: 19
    edited May 28, 2022 3:52PM

@ifthevamzarockin Thank you, I really appreciate your answer! I just found another one just like it with a hole in it too, not my type of jewelry but someone liked it 😁

• SisSis Posts: 1

I don’t understand that at all. I came across a wheat penny with 4 holes drilled in it!! If I figure out how to post a pic I will

• JJewlzJJewlz Posts: 19

@OAKSTAR Thank you for the pictures. Interesting!!!

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been metal detecting farms for decades, when a farmer needed a washer, well you know the rest. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

During the civil war, coins with 2 holes were used as buttons. A coin with a hole in the center were used for roofing washers also.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• I had a large bag of coins from all over the world I'd been collecting forever. I was bored and had I thought great idea. I called local coin shop and ask about value of my coins. I was told foreign were worthless, so I drilled holes in all but a couple of my coins. Stupid me I then realized I was lied to I have holie coins that were worth alot and now just look nice and make nice sound in the wind.