Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Nearly $1 million Dutch gold coin acquired by Southern California collector ... Tyrant???

Nearly $1 million Dutch gold coin acquired by an American collector in Southern California ... another acquisition by the Tyrant?

"The auction house of Künker sold a Double Rose Noble Piedfort issued by the Hanseatic League city of Kampen for €700,000 plus 20% buyer’s premium for a total of €840,000 (approx. $940,000 USD) on March 22, 2022. Shipment of the coin to the buyer in the United States had to wait several months for the grant of a German export license. Germany requires the granting of such a license for items of significant artistic, historic, and cultural value.

The very rare and valuable Double Rose Noble of Kampen has long been considered the largest and most beautiful of all Dutch medieval hammered gold coins. This particular coin is extra special in that it was a Piedfort. Piedforts are special heavy-weight coins made for presentations to top government officials, leading business people, and other dignitaries. Gold Piedforts are extremely rare, and most that do exist are of double weight. This particular Piedfort striking was not double the normal weight, not triple, but quadruple the normal weight. It is a massive gold piece weighing approximately two ounces.

Collections have long known of the existence of this fantastic coin from a somewhat enigmatic entry in Delmonte’s 1964 classic book on gold coins of the Netherlands. The catalogue listed a unique striking of the Double Rose Noble weighing 61 grams (approx. two ounces) resting in a coin collection in the United States. Unlike the usual practice, where Delmonte gave the location of a very rare coin, this entry did not provide the name of the Collector who held this coin...

...It was purchased by a representative by Schulman BV, for placement in a Southern California collection. It rests with many other coins of the Northern and Southern Netherlands, in one of the most valuable collections of such coins outside of national museums. The collection features many fantastic coins including a gold striking of an 1807 50 Stuiver of Ludwick Napoleon, which came from the private collection of Napoleon’s family."

https://coinweek.com/world-coins/most-valuable-coin-ever-sold-in-germany-returns-to-us/

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wowee!

Nice original Northern and Southern Netherlands high grades are scarce!

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2022 8:32PM

Dan O'Dowd, the billionaire owner of the "Tyrant" collection, has stated that he has completed his collection.

He has gone into California politics and is running for the US Senate.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    gnuschlergnuschler Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 said:
    Dan O'Dowd, the billionaire owner of the "Tyrant" collection, has stated that he has completed his collection.

He has gone into California politics and is running for the US Senate.

:)

I know he's running for Senate in California ... where did you see that he is no longer adding to his collection? Thanks!

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

being a coin collector is political poison, it's such an unrelatable hobby for most people, buying hundreds of millions of dollars of coins, any populist will beat him

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 4:52AM

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:
    being a coin collector is political poison, it's such an unrelatable hobby for most people, buying hundreds of millions of dollars of coins, any populist will beat him

Well, his platform is also primarily anti-Tesla, so I don't think Numismatics will be the top issue to lose him votes.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2022 5:41AM

Why would somebody be anti-Tesla? Why would somebody be anti something cool, new , interesting and succesffull?

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

he said the company is recklessly using us as human guinea pigs with its imperfect self driving AI, but that argument doesn't seem to take into account how humans cause a lot of accidents right now, it's a weird argument, but I didn't expect the biggest coin collector in the world to be perfect

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, seems a bit strong to condemn on just the basis of the self-driving vehicles doesn't it? I can't help believe even in their early stages that they are safer than the crappy drivers around the mid-Atlantic.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Tyrant is not the only whale in Southern California waters.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    gnuschlergnuschler Posts: 32 ✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    The Tyrant is not the only whale in Southern California waters.

I've been waiting for you to weigh in :smiley:

Thanks Andy!

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a truly spectacular coin!
    When was it minted?
    How big is it?

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DennisH said:
    That is a truly spectacular coin!
    When was it minted?
    How big is it?

It was struck in about 1600, in the imitative style of an Elizabeth Sovereign. It weighs about 2 ounces, diameter (I think) about 36 mm.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.