Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Walter Payton Rook Card - Grading Questions - Novice Card Owner

Hi, I am novice when it comes to getting cards graded. I recently picked up a 1976 Topps NFL Walter Payton (RC). It looks to be in really good condition, but the centering looks a little off, so I assume it isn't going to be a 10. My question which PSA service level should i submit the Walter Payton with. If I do the Super Express ($300) does that limit the possibility of it getting the 10 since super express has a max declared value of $4,999.00 and most recent PSA 10 sold for $72,000. OR would you recommend submitting at the Walk-Through Level of $600.00. I am hoping this community can help me out !

Comments

• Options
    AANVAANV Posts: 331 ✭✭✭

I would submit at the $100 level and hope that you get upcharged on the order.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi. Good luck with the card. Looks nice. To possibly save you some money, please get a few other cards from that year and measure the Payton against them to be sure your Payton is the same size. There has been way too much trimming in this hobby for way too long. Good luck

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t like the shape and agree you should measure it.

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭

If you are looking at the white border at the top left I see a kind of line that has the shape of a crease, surface wrinkle. I truly hope not. But if it is that you might not want to go full throttle on an expensive submission fee. If that is just a line in the sleeve or something else, great. It does have a fantastic look. I absolutely love the bright vibrant color on this 45 year old card. It would catch my eye as an appealing card. These days I dont know if it would come back with a feeling that it was undergraded. I see some mild indentations on the right border. Not sure how top to bottom centering should work on this issue. Similar space left to right as on top but more border on the bottom. I'd search 8s and 9s and 10s on eBay to get an idea. I agree you want to measure it. Something feels a little off because at the bottom the left to right centering looks pretty nice. As you go higher it looks worse. So typically that would indicate a tilt but then it should even out. If tilted it should be 62 38 up top and 38 62 at the bottom. If its more 53 47 at the bottom something doesnt add up and makes you wonder if someone attempted a trim. You probably know its supposed to be 2.5 x 3.5 so other cards, similar cards work but the old fashion ruler measuring tape can work too. Best of luck. I would say unless its altered, it probably will look nice in a case. Might just be an issue of determining what its worth paying. If you do see a crease, I'd wait until prices drop a little more.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous card. I finally got one for my pc and absolutely love it. I agree with AANV and sub at a lower level and hope for an upcharge. They aren't supposed to grade softer if it's subbed at the wrong level. Whether they actually do is discussion for another day. They are overly harsh on vintage right now, so sending in hoping for a 10, I think you'll be disappointed. I think the tilt alone would keep it out of a 10. I see an 8 if everything else checks out, just because they seem to be at least 1 grade lower than expected right now.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I think it's got a chance at PSA 8. I've sent in two like these. That was awhile ago before the mother load of all backed up toilets

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome card, one that has been on my wish list for a long time. Playing devil's advocate here, you could send it to SGC for $30 and get it back in 3 weeks. They also give you the option to slab it as "Authentic" if it is trimmed. Good option if this card is staying in your PC.