Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Chinese Panda coin collection - are these real?

JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone I know inherited these coins and due to their rarity and value I strongly suspect they might be counterfeit. The large 1kg coin is dated 2003. Never seen any like it before so I know that it is extremely rare if real. They are all housed in this nice case and inside was this paper with information in Chinese front and back (pictured below). I took a few quick pictures of the set as a whole and the 1kg coin. Do you think this is likely counterfeit or authentic? I took a close look at some of the smaller coins and it almost looked like they might had been plated base metal. But I am not very familiar with the earlier Pandas. They would want to sell it if they are authentic.

Comments

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes they are real, i've bought a few myself :)

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah but doesn't mean those are if you think otherwise have them looked at by a coin expert

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options

I definitely plan to have these looked at in person by an expert but just wanted some opinions here.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can tell it's an unofficial replica, because it doesn't have a denomination on it. The genuine 1 kilo panda, for example, has "300 yuan" at the bottom right, in that big empty space near the panda's face. This, apparently, makes them legal to produce and sell in China (a place where being found guilty of counterfeiting government money is likely to be extremely bad for your health and freedom).

Genuine coins also have "1 kg Ag .999" on it. That this "coin" simply says "1 kg" implies to me that it isn't actually made of silver.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are just medals struck by a private mint to appear like “official” Pandas.

The COA says they are silver.

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

COA is also from the Chinese People’s Bank, which is not an authorized distributor of pandas in China (though it’s not uncommon for banks there to sell precious metals in all different shapes under their own brand).

• Options

I was curious what the COA says since it’s all in Chinese and can’t read it. If these are at least silver then there’s some value in bullion even if these are not real Pandas.

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2022 5:27PM

@JMS1223 said:
    I was curious what the COA says since it’s all in Chinese and can’t read it. If these are at least silver then there’s some value in bullion even if these are not real Pandas.

COA says there are 22 pure silver 1 oz coins and one 1 kg gold-plated coin (says it’s a silver coin but doesn’t use the word “pure”). It also lists the scroll and two certificates. The list price for the set from the bank was 8800 RMB (I think about 1000 USD at the time, judging by the latest date in the set).

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which is why I carry an old hard drive magnet around. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want them just for the silver, buy some..silver from somewhere else, just to be safe.

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter