Home Sports Talk
Options

Leaf trading cards is suing CeeDee Lamb

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the first time I've ever heard of this happening in the hobby, Leaf trading cards is suing CeeDee Lamb because Lamb won't autograph the cards he is under contract to sign. I've managed to obtain a copy of the lawsuit, hot off the press!

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect Lamb to have a huge career. HUGE!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

Yes, and the value of his cards will skyrocket on ebay, and they'll be selling like hotcakes!

• Options

Of course, I am very familiar with Leaf cards, as a matter of fact, I just recently bought two Leaf boxing cards, 1/1 proofs of Errol Spence and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

Yes, and the value of his cards will skyrocket on ebay, and they'll be selling like hotcakes!

I don't collect cards, but I hear ya. Let me tell anyone who doesn't know, this guy is VERY good.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lamb didn't sign enough.
    Leaf took up front money from customers and is required to refund a portion. Maybe Leaf doesn't have the dough.

Maybe Leaf needs to consult a fortune teller instead of their legal counsel. Ask the fortune teller how many athletes are going to sign up to the company now and ask the fortune teller if accepting money for product you don't have in stock is a good business practice.

Obviously their legal counsel fell just a tad light in the ' wisdom' dept.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

I don't collect cards, but I hear ya. Let me tell anyone who doesn't know, this guy is VERY good.

Yes, tall and fast with great hands, a quarterbacks dream come true.

• Options

Of course, Leaf has been around a long time, and they produced the legendary 1948 Leaf, Baseball, football, and boxing set. These cards in high grade fetch big time money.

• Options

• Options

Nice collection you have there DD

• Options

1948 Leaf is just a beautiful and legendary set.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Nice collection you have there DD

The 1948 Leaf cards pictured are not mine, just examples for showing, I could never afford them! 😂😂

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m on Leaf’s side.

If he is contracted to sign he should sign.

What am I missing here?

• Options

The 1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano is known as the holy grail of boxing cards and it is a legendary boxing card because of it's rarity, only a few examples are known to exist, and this card right here would easily sell for over $100,000.

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I’m on Leaf’s side.

What am I missing here?

That's what I'm thinking, if he's under contact to sign then he needs to fulfill his obligations, this is the first time I've ever heard of this happening in the hobby.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I’m on Leaf’s side.

What am I missing here?

This is my thinking as well. However, as an attorney I have learned there is always another side to the story. It will be interesting to see what Mr. Lamb's reply says. Presumably he has a reason for not signing.

• Options

@larryallen73 said:

@perkdog said:
    I’m on Leaf’s side.

What am I missing here?

This is my thinking as well. However, as an attorney I have learned there is always another side to the story. It will be interesting to see what Mr. Lamb's reply says. Presumably he has a reason for not signing.

I have learned that the media gives us scraps of facts. Often with intent. So anything like this is really hard to know for sure.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

should be a cut and dry case.

the problem will be in how reticent athletes will be in the future to sign with leaf. topps and panini pretty much let this go because they don't want the ill will lawsuits will bring.

i am, however, firmly in the leaf camp on this one. if you committed to signing, then sign. easy.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see the full lawsuit. I would imagine that it includes details about how much Lamb was paid and that's info I'd like to know.

• Options

This will not turn out well for Leaf. Unless Lamb was incalcitrant, this should have been settled quietly.
    Lamb signed this contract before he was drafted so it has been festering for awhile. I can see some remorse on Lamb's side, oh well.

Seems like bad move on both sides.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    The 1948 Leaf Rocky Graziano is known as the holy grail of boxing cards and it is a legendary boxing card because of it's rarity, only a few examples are known to exist, and this card right here would easily sell for over $100,000.

It was a chase card to complete the set.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Isn't players not obligating their contracts why we ended up with cards like this? Have thought about sending mine out to be signed, but if they didn't sign in the first place then I imagine not likely they will later. I get that Callahan and some of the other "No Autograph" auto cards like Saints Tommylee Lewis, aren't necessarily going to make or break a persons day compared to a hot up and coming star like Lamb, and can see Leaf's point in wanting to defend the customers, but again like @streeter mentioned, maybe this will help card companies realize that you need to be more careful with what you promise your customer base without having it in hand or something they can readily print up.

And going back to cards like the Callahan above, what if he ended being the next Brady? Meaning a relatively unknown backup that takes the spotlight. Then were does that leave the people that they just decided to send out non auto'd cards to. I agree that if Lamb agreed to sign then he should fulfill that contract, but again without his side of the story we can't be so quick to judge I suppose. I think most on here have been in the hobby long enough to know these companies don't really care about anything but sales, and to go after someone with the publicity of Lamb seems dangerous to future signings. And maybe not just for leaf but all the companies. I am not saying Leaf is in the wrong, since they have the right to pursue their interests in the agreement as well, just pointing out that maybe not the smartest business choice. Especially in these covid times where more than average are bored at homes flipping through news feeds finding articles on the lesser important issues like this.

• Options

I sell things for a living. I sell what I have in inventory. It's been a challenging last couple of years, to say the least. I sympathize for Leaf or any retail company because there are no rules these last couple of years. Lamb is equivalent to a supplier to Leaf. Never burn your bridges.

In time we'll know why that relationship soured.

BUT, if you're going to sell what you don't have in your possession, you better be extra careful to let your customer know there is risk on board. Just don't take money up front.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without any hesitation my first thought about any pro player having issues with a card company and not appearing on a card or having your auto on it then the player is greedy or high maintenance.

That’s my bottom line