Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Modern Comm. Registry Set coin label mechanical error?

GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 25, 2022 6:28AM in PCGS Set Registry Forum

This coin was recently added to several Modern Commemorative Sets as a 1982-D MS70, which moved it to the top ranking as these have been nearly impossible to find in true MS70.

It looks a lot like a 1982-S proof at first glance. Is this an extremely rare Denver mint uncirculated coin in MS70, or is it a label typo?

IF it is actually a proof and the label and certification number is inaccurate, then the label certificate number should be invalidated.

There is a risk someone could pay a lot for a rare population MS70 coin label, when really a PR70 1982-S half dollar commemorative is very common.

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2022 5:27PM

IMHO, Mechanical error and PCGS May or may not pay anything for this as they often do not compensate for obvious mechanical errors. PCGS should delete the serial numbers ASAP in my opinion until the owners of these coins send them back to PCGS to verify (and very likely fix the problem).

Gold miners- You might consider alerting PCGS to this obvious serious issue by saying something in your title.

Wondercoin

Edited to add… you might also want to post this thread on the US Coin Forum with a link to this thread. As you know, the last time PCGS graded one of these MS70 coins I bought it (sight unseen from a huge modern coin dealer who should have known better than to sell it into the marketplace - “wholesaling it” for a great price off their website) and then I sent it to PCGS to remove from the holder as it was an obvious grossly over graded mistake out of the PCGS building. I sought no compensation from PCGS for the coin (if it had been graded properly, I could have sold it to a number of collectors for a huge profit) . It regraded MS68 (down 2 points) and that was generous. This coin in perfect MS70 obviously looks nothing like the coin you have pictured IMHO. In fact, it doesn’t even exist at the moment I believe.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS has invalidated the certificate number, but the registry sets have not been revised at this time. The registry folks are looking forward to some additional help from a new team member who starts next week.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pcgs did the proper thing. As usual.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.