Home Sports Talk
Options

I'm really enjoying watching the Edmonton Oilers in the playoffs.

DarinDarin Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 23, 2022 5:00PM in Sports Talk

I have never watched an entire hockey game, just bits and pieces now and then.
Two or three years ago I started hearing about how good Connor McDavid was just from this
board and the sports card board. So I started thinking about buying a rookie card of his, I never
did buy one but I kept his Hockeyreference page on my favorites list to keep up with his stats.

So because there is hardly ever anything on TV I like to watch, I started watching the Oilers vs. L.A. Kings
series and I'm actually surprised how much I've enjoyed it. They won the series and are now playing Calgary
and with a win last night are up 2-1. The Edmonton crowd was going crazy last night, it was pretty cool to watch.
And I'm starting to understand why assists are so important in hockey and why they count as one point in the stats
the same as a goal. McDavid creates so many scoring chances for his teammates that even I can see how talented he is.

Just thought I'd chime in with a hockey thread because maybe some of you are like me and have never
watched hockey and just might enjoy it.
One of the reasons I decided to watch is I thought it would be nice to see one the the greats, McDavid,
in his prime and he has not disappointed. :p

P.S. I should have bought a rookie card.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never played hockey, and I never followed it as closely as I did other sports. So I have struggled to get as much out of it as I would like. I enjoy it, but I know when I'm watching that I am missing a lot in terms of strategy, etc.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I never played hockey, and I never followed it as closely as I did other sports. So I have struggled to get as much out of it as I would like. I enjoy it, but I know when I'm watching that I am missing a lot in terms of strategy, etc.

Heck I'm missing a lot in terms of strategy and the actual rules but am still enjoying watching the Oilers.
    I don't know what a center's responsibility is, or a defensemens', I don't know what the red line or the
    blue line is for, I don't know why when a player is up against the plexiglass wall trying to move the
    puck an opposing player can crash into him with the twofold intent of making a permanent imprint
    of aforementioned players' face into the plexiglass and in the process dislodge as many teeth as possible
    and its not an infraction of the rules of hockey, but if you crash into a player on the open ice away from the
    wall you have to have a timeout and go sit in your own private room until you cool off.

Edmonton won again last night so one more and they win the series.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

I don't know why when a player is up against the plexiglass wall trying to move the

puck an opposing player can crash into him with the twofold intent of making a permanent imprint
    of aforementioned players' face into the plexiglass and in the process dislodge as many teeth as possible
    and its not an infraction of the rules of hockey, but if you crash into a player on the open ice away from the
    wall you have to have a timeout and go sit in your own private room until you cool off.

It's all based on where the puck is. You can't hit guys who don't have the puck unless they JUST had it.

• Options

I have one relative who is very knowledgeable regarding hockey. The last couple of years I've meant to get in the phone with him and watch a few games like that. Have him talk me through some things. I remember a few years ago I watched a few playoff series every game. By about the 8th game I could understand a lot more. I'm still missing a lot.

I enjoy watching old games. I like the more extreme violence of it. And I don't just mean the fights. I like the increased physicality. Like all of the sports, the players now are faster.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I have one relative who is very knowledgeable regarding hockey. The last couple of years I've meant to get in the phone with him and watch a few games like that. Have him talk me through some things. I remember a few years ago I watched a few playoff series every game. By about the 8th game I could understand a lot more. I'm still missing a lot.

I enjoy watching old games. I like the more extreme violence of it. And I don't just mean the fights. I like the increased physicality. Like all of the sports, the players now are faster.

I have always thought that Hockey is much easier to understand ( and explain to a novice fan) in person than watching on TV.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

@thisistheshow said:

I have always thought that Hockey is much easier to understand ( and explain to a novice fan) in person than watching on TV.

The same person who I wanted to talk to during a game said the same thing. He said if you have the right seats you can see every play develop and it would be a lot better.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:

@thisistheshow said:

That's probably true. I've explained hockey to people watching and also in-person and it can work either way. The main thing is to get people over their "I can't see the puck" thing. I always tell them to just watch the players - they'll take you right to the puck. And then seeing the puck will come.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2022 3:30PM

Hey Edmonton, come to New York! At least Edmonton is a part of the real NHL.

I'm old school.........any team south of Philly doesn't count!! 😂 🤣

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@Tabe said:

@Alfonz24 said:

@thisistheshow said:

That's probably true. I've explained hockey to people watching and also in-person and it can work either way. The main thing is to get people over their "I can't see the puck" thing. I always tell them to just watch the players - they'll take you right to the puck. And then seeing the puck will come.

Tabe- So true. I used to have a lot of trouble following the puck especially when a goal was scored.
    Much easier now that I've watched more than just a few minutes of a game at a time.
    Although I will admit I don't see some of the pucks go in until after they show the replay.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Playoff hockey game 7, you can't beat it!!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I have never watched an entire hockey game, just bits and pieces now and then.
    Two or three years ago I started hearing about how good Connor McDavid was just from this
    board and the sports card board. So I started thinking about buying a rookie card of his, I never
    did buy one but I kept his Hockeyreference page on my favorites list to keep up with his stats.

So because there is hardly ever anything on TV I like to watch, I started watching the Oilers vs. L.A. Kings
    series and I'm actually surprised how much I've enjoyed it. They won the series and are now playing Calgary
    and with a win last night are up 2-1. The Edmonton crowd was going crazy last night, it was pretty cool to watch.
    And I'm starting to understand why assists are so important in hockey and why they count as one point in the stats
    the same as a goal. McDavid creates so many scoring chances for his teammates that even I can see how talented he is.

Just thought I'd chime in with a hockey thread because maybe some of you are like me and have never
    watched hockey and just might enjoy it.
    One of the reasons I decided to watch is I thought it would be nice to see one the the greats, McDavid,
    in his prime and he has not disappointed. :p

P.S. I should have bought a rookie card.

Great to see a new hockey fan!

Next year try to catch a Minnesota Wild game or two, we have a young player, Kirill Kaprizov, who is a very exciting player.

For me, hockey is by far the most enjoyable sport to watch. Very fast paced. After you have watched it for a while you will have a good idea where the puck is going before it gets there, making it even MORE fun to watch. You will see the scoring chances develop before they happen!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set