Home U.S. Coin Forum

“ Results are in” large or small date 1970s Lincoln?

PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 1, 2022 2:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I always had problems determining small/large date Lincolns. I opened an uncirculated roll of 1970s Lincoln’s and I believe the entire roll could be the small date variety, especially since “Liberty” appears to be weak. I took pictures of three different Coins from the roll. Are these the small date variety?

I figured no way I can be that lucky so I took a picture of what I believe is a large date, too.

Are my old eyes seeing things or did I luck out?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Comments

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are large dates.

Larry

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely large dates. When they opening of the nine points straight across it's a small date and when they opening angles down to the right it's a large date. I've always have problems trying to differentiate between the small date and large date and I'm probably not the only person with that problem either. But when I was told of this definition of determining a small date and large date oh, it was easy to remember.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    Definitely large dates. When they opening of the nine points straight across it's a small date and when they opening angles down to the right it's a large date. I've always have problems trying to differentiate between the small date and large date and I'm probably not the only person with that problem either. But when I was told of this definition of determining a small date and large date oh, it was easy to remember.

This is really the best way to identify them. It is easier to discern than the position of the 7.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    Contrary to the above, the ones out of the album look like small dates to me. They have the characteristically weak LIBERTY of the small dates.

The 9's certainty look like small dates, assuming the photos are shot straight on.

• PppPpp Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭

All great comments thank you.

Yes, pictures were taken straight on.

Before I posted I researched on pcgs (picture below for reference) and other sites. My issue is some aspects of the coins represent small date (height of the seven in relation to the 1 and 0, weak liberty, the more closed nature of the 9, …) but one major aspect seems to be large date (the bottom of the seven looks lower than the 1 and 0).

When I place a straight edge on the 1, 7 and 0 in the pictures I think they are in line or is the 1 higher?

Regardless I think this is interesting.

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/2933_37655194_Max.jpg

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe your large cent is correctly attributed and the 3 out of the album are all small dates. I also use the 9 and weak Liberty as pick-up points.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first 3 are all small date cents. Nice pick up!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

I looked at all my 1970s Lincoln’s based on your comments and it appears I have two-47 coin rolls are unc small date and one-44 unc coin roll large date. picture below is a coin from a small and large date roll.

It probably doesn’t make sense to grade any of them and I don’t expect to keep them all. Picture of one 47 small date coin roll

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    Contrary to the above, the ones out of the album look like small dates to me. They have the characteristically weak LIBERTY of the small dates.

I agree with this statement.
    @Ppp your pictures are poorly lit and are mostly shadow. Can you post better lit photpgraphs?
    Notice the weakness of LIBERTY on the small dates. That is one way to tell.
    Finding two nearly complete rolls of small dates is quite unusual, someone must have really hunted these down to build them.

Collector, occasional seller

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 3 coins in question are all small dates.
    Look at the diagnostics posted above. 1970 is perfectly aligned at the top, which is the key pick up point. The secondary diagnostic is the inner loop of the 9 pointing to the right. All 3 have this also.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • TopdollarpaidTopdollarpaid Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

The loose ones are small dates

Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com

@Ppp said:
    I looked at all my 1970s Lincoln’s based on your comments and it appears I have two-47 coin rolls are unc small date and one-44 unc coin roll large date. picture below is a coin from a small and large date roll.

left small, right large

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭

I agree, the top 3 are SD ands the one in the album is the LD. Nice find on a full roll!

Based on the comments I received I looked at all my 94-1970s red Lincoln’s very closely and I believe all are small dates.

I never did this before but I decided to do a bulk pcgs submission with a minimum grade of ms65. I included other coins to achieve the 100 coin minimum.

I figure if correct and all are red small dates then the $14- grading for ms65 or better and $2- reject fee for coins that don’t make the grade are very reasonable.

Best case if a third of the coins get graded red small date ms65 or better I will just have to figure out how to dispose of them.

Worst Case I totally blew it and all are rejected for grade and are large dates (I am confident they are small dates) then I will chalk this expense up to education. 🙂

I plan to post the results of this submission. Wish me luck 🤞.

@Ppp said:
    I plan to post the results of this submission. Wish me luck 🤞.

look forward to the results. i'll clear a few days in aug and sept for when you may get them back.

i haven't looked up values but submitting 65 minimum MAY be a mistake. let the values dictate that. if a coin is a 64 red it may be worth more in that holder than raw? i don't know if you've done any analysis. they're already going there, may as well get them in the holder while there? granted a 2 reject fee is enticing. just thinking out loud.

Results are in I will start a separate post

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file