Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

TYSON FURY Topps 2018 Cards, vs. SEIDMANS 2018 Program Card vs. Tyson Fury 2020 Topps on Demand Set

rookiecollector14rookiecollector14 Posts: 8
edited June 25, 2022 10:42PM in PSA Set Registry Forum

does anyone know for sure which of these two cards is considered the Rookie card for TYSON FURY ? ?

Jeffery Freeman a write for " The Sweet Science " wrote an article on Boxing's ROOKIE Cards for Boxing Biggest Stars.
in which he states that the 2019 Topps Now card which most people title it as 2020, but on the back of the card it clearly
states 2019, Jeffery Freeman claims this is the Authentic Rookie card for Tyson Fury.

Tyson Fury has a Program Card made by SEIDMAN Program that has 2018.

does anyone know for sure which is Recognized as the Rookie card for Tyson Fury, Seidmans Program 2018 Card or Topps Now 2019 Card ? ? ?

Comments

• Options
    BartAllen2BartAllen2 Posts: 71 ✭✭

Well it's not that Topps Now Card you referred to - the 2019 one, to be exact - as the Topps On Demand 2020 was released before that card on February 6, 2020 and contained 21 cards. The card you mentioned was released on February 24, 2020 ~ Also the 2019 was an error as Fury beat Wilder in 2020. So all the 21 cards should be placed before the February 24 card.

There's also the possibility of the 2018 Topps Now Card as it doesn't seem to be solely attributed to Wilder ~

• Options

I thought about that to, the 2018 Topps card, and as the 2018 Seidmans Program card, it's exactly what it is, a Program card, a Novelty Card and nothing more. I thought this was interesting, I asked someone else about the 2019-2020 Topps Now Tyson Fury Crown card, and here is what they said,

Boxing is such a wild card when it comes to rookie cards. Mike Tysons “rookie” is considering the 1985 sticker from Panini but its a sticker and his actual first card was 1987 QOS. Topps Now in main stream sports and even now are not considered true rookie cards. Example Paddy Pimblett has a Topps Now and was released before Prizm but Prizm is considered his true rookie. Program cards for almost any sport would not be considered rookie cards. Ive always believed his Topps Now was his true rookie card. I have a 2020 Leaf card that can be considered a rookie using traditional sports logic.

So when it comes to boxing my opinion is public demand is what decides “rookie” and it would be Topps Now.

Interesting, he said, Public demand has the last say.....

• Options

But, if the The TOPPS On Demand Autograph set of only 112 ever made, if it is the Rookie of Tyson Fury, then the whole set of 21 cards including the Autograph card would make the whole collection set he's Rookie cards of 21. So all 21 would be his rookie card. If this is truly his Rookie set of cards 1-21....

• Options

@rookiecollector14 said:
    I thought about that to, the 2018 Topps card, and as the 2018 Seidmans Program card, it's exactly what it is, a Program card, a Novelty Card and nothing more. I thought this was interesting, I asked someone else about the 2019-2020 Topps Now Tyson Fury Crown card, and here is what they said,

Boxing is such a wild card when it comes to rookie cards. Mike Tysons “rookie” is considering the 1985 sticker from Panini but its a sticker and his actual first card was 1987 QOS. Topps Now in main stream sports and even now are not considered true rookie cards. Example Paddy Pimblett has a Topps Now and was released before Prizm but Prizm is considered his true rookie. Program cards for almost any sport would not be considered rookie cards. Ive always believed his Topps Now was his true rookie card. I have a 2020 Leaf card that can be considered a rookie using traditional sports logic.

So when it comes to boxing my opinion is public demand is what decides “rookie” and it would be Topps Now.

Interesting, he said, Public demand has the last say.....

The program card isn't so much a novelty card, per se, as it was commissioned by the same company that produced Brown's Boxing cards -- so much that PSA originally assigned the card as part of Brown's Boxing 2018 ~ The issue is that they were produced in limited numbers and only available in the US -- the unperforated cards even more so limited ~ I mean is there really a difference between a card officially commissioned and included in a program; and cards available in magazines such as Ali and Pacquiao's rookie in SRJ and World Boxing Japan, respectively? ~

The Mike Tyson scenario seems awfully like the Usyk one, although the difference was that Usyk's card and sticker were produced in the exact same year (and the same time period, too, due to the Olympics) ~

I'd say potentially any of the Topps 2021 cards could be classed as Fury's rookie -- which complicates things, but personally I'd stick to Seidman's due to it being the first card that was produced for Fury ~

• Options
    edited June 25, 2022 10:37PM

One might argue that Tyson Fury vs. Wilder Topps 2018 Cards Wilder vs. Fury would be the real Rookie Cards. Out of the 7 or 8 Topps 2018 Wilder vs. Fury cards, 2 of the cards only mention Fury on the card, which could technically give it the right to be Tyson Fury's Rookie Card. Topps being a Brand name in the card industry.....

• Options

2018 Topps Now WVF-7 Tyson Fury
    vs. Deontay Wilder Heavy Weight Title Fight ends in a Draw, a lot of People say this is Tyson Fury's Rookie Card.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2022 7:52AM

@rookiecollector14 said:
    One might argue that Tyson Fury vs. Wilder Topps 2018 Cards Wilder vs. Fury would be the real Rookie Cards. Out of the 7 or 8 Topps 2018 Wilder vs. Fury cards, 2 of the cards only mention Fury on the card, which could technically give it the right to be Tyson Fury's Rookie Card. Topps being a Brand name in the card industry.....

Those cards were published after the fight -- hence the post-fight images, whereas the Seidman cards were produced sometime before the fight ~ Topps is a brand name, that's true, but Seidman Productions took over with their production of Brown's Boxing from the 80's, 90's and early 00's ~ Topps' production of boxing card sets have been few and far between since 1951, which is a shame.

But I agree that out of all the Topps card sets the 2018 Topps Now card is most likely the best contender compared to the other cards that were produced afterwards. However, Topps Now 2018 had 5 different cards for that set -- so we have the same issue as with the Topps On Demand 2020 that was released for Fury: which card, or was it all of them?

Seidman narrows it down considerably: one card for each boxer, and the earliest known card from a notable company.

• Options
    edited June 26, 2022 6:25PM

On that noe, one thing I will say about Tyson Fury's cards, Very few were made of each card from 2018 - 2021. Most of Tyson Fury's cards were kept under Short Print runs, the most I have ever seen were his Topps Takes The Crown card of which only 628 were made. His Limited Edition set was only 112, with only 56 of those from the 112 set came with an Autograph card signed by Fury. It's safe to say there are way more Michael Jordan Fleer Rookie cards and Wayne Gretzky Rookie cards then there are of all Tyson Fury's Cards from 2018 - 2021 put together. In my own Opinion I beleive Tyson Fury's Cards from 2018 - 2021 will Sky Rocket in Price each year that goes by, making it one of the most sought after Sports Cards in the World and with Fury only 33 years old, he is just getting started. I imagine his cards especially 2018 Cards will be on the Auction Blocks for $250,000 Grand or more, especially if they are PSA 10. I wouldnt sale any of those cards if in my Possession, at least not right now, $$$$

• Options

@rookiecollector14 said:
    On that noe, one thing I will say about Tyson Fury's cards, Very few were made of each card from 2018 - 2021. Most of Tyson Fury's cards were kept under Short Print runs, the most I have ever seen were his Topps Takes The Crown card of which only 628 were made. His Limited Edition set was only 112, with only 56 of those from the 112 set came with an Autograph card signed by Fury. It's safe to say there are way more Michael Jordan Fleer Rookie cards and Wayne Gretzky Rookie cards then there are of all Tyson Fury's Cards from 2018 - 2021 put together. In my own Opinion I beleive Tyson Fury's Cards from 2018 - 2021 will Sky Rocket in Price each year that goes by, making it one of the most sought after Sports Cards in the World and with Fury only 33 years old, he is just getting started. I imagine his cards especially 2018 Cards will be on the Auction Blocks for $250,000 Grand or more, especially if they are PSA 10. I wouldnt sale any of those cards if in my Possession, at least not right now, $$$$

Never thought about that before -- VERY interesting and isn't impossible, especially if he defeats the winner of Usyk/Joshua II.

But to answer your other question about the Tyson Fury's 2020 Topps On Demand Autograph set being unopened and whether the price go up even more: well it depends on the condition. As the cards aren't protected nearly as much as the 2000 Upper Deck Muhammad Ali cards were -- with all the cards being in topholders etc ~

But still the 2018 Seidman cards have to be taken into consideration as the reason I said things were complicated regarding Topps 2018 is that 9 cards were released for that set ~