Home Sports Talk
Options

Does alcohol cause too many problems at sporting events?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kirk Herbstreit caused quite a stir when he suggested drunk fans should be banned from golf tournaments, this ultimately leads to the question, does alcohol cause too many problems at sporting events?

Golf World Reacts To Kirk Herbstreit's Fan Suggestion

Like many of us, ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit was watching the sensational PGA Championship. But he had an interesting suggestion that is causing a bit of a stir on social media.

Taking to Twitter, Herbstreit went off on the fans that have been yelling after every tee shot. He said that while it was funny 20 years ago, it's time for the PGA Tour to start banning fans who do that.

"Think the time has come the @PGATOUR ban the drunk clowns yelling after a tee shot at a Major! Was really funny back in 2003," Herbstreit wrote.

Herbstreit may have chosen the wrong hill to fight on though. While he's gotten a lot of likes on Twitter, he's also gotten plenty of people calling him out for being a fun-hater.

Some pointed out that attendance at PGA Tour events would suffer if fans weren't allowed to drink expensive beers and get into the action:

As annoying as the yelling fans at PGA Tour events can be, at least they're following the rules and not heckling the golfers.

But as with any major sporting event, if you're going to serve beer, you're going to have to deal with the potential chaos that ensues.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on the individual.

Alcohol doesn’t cause problems, it’s the idiots that don’t know how to behave after consuming alcohol.

D this is an example of canceling something out, an idiot acts up at a game because he is drunk then they want to ban alcohol. See how that works?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

as long as the PGA championship is getting 18 bucks a beer it will always be there

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2022 8:11AM

gotta wonder how anyone can trust a guy like Herbstreit to offer up insightful 🏈 analysis when he says dumb stuff like this

i go to a handful of golf tournaments each year (going to one this week, in fact), and it never takes me long to cross paths with a spectator on the course whose throat i'd love to punch. why certain people yell equally dumb stuff after shots is beyond me, but honestly it's just a microcosm of society: prepare for the unexpected every day of your life

with that said, adult beverage sales are going nowhere. i shudder to think how much loot was raked in at the PGA Championship this past weekend at 18 a pop. forgoing that will never happen in anyone's lifetime.

besides, even if they did prevent people from getting blasted, is that going to stop certain morons from uttering idiotic things? of course not, Herbstreit.........you moron.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2022 9:38PM

Yes.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2022 8:45AM

Alcohol is the leading cause of domestic abuse and divorce in the country. Not to mention automobile deaths and health issues. Is alcohol a problem? Yeah I’d say it not just sporting events my friends.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

The only problem I have with alcohol at events is the arm and leg I have to give up to get it.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2022 9:12AM

I love it when a golfer putts the ball and the fans yell "get in the hole", like the ball can hear them. 😂😂

• Options

@perkdog said:

Alcohol doesn’t cause problems, it’s the idiots that don’t know how to behave after consuming alcohol.

D this is an example of canceling something out, an idiot acts up at a game because he is drunk then they want to ban alcohol. See how that works?

Ah yes, the culture club, I should have known. 🤔

• Options

They can't ban beer, it's the American way.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say alcohol causes too many problems at sporting events, yes. Not just golf events but all of them.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Does alcohol cause too many problems at sporting events?

It can't help!

Unless of course, you're a vendor selling it!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alcohol doesn't cause the problem, its the person who can't handle his/her consumption that causes the problem.

• Options

Oh it can help, get you too drunk to care that your team is losing. Not everyone gets violent tendencies when inebriated.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

The same can be said about guns and our 2nd amendment.

• Options

So this thought process is exactly why people that say stupid stuff like this are morons.

All Banning alcohol from games would mean that people will just drink more heavily beforehand by getting the booze elsewhere thus lost funds for event.

It’s like making gambling or marijuana illegal, people will just figure out a way, banning something doesn’t stop anything in most cases

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    So this thought process is exactly why people that say stupid stuff like this are morons.

All Banning alcohol from games would mean that people will just drink more heavily beforehand by getting the booze elsewhere thus lost funds for event.

It’s like making gambling or marijuana illegal, people will just figure out a way, banning something doesn’t stop anything in most cases

As I've said before, I no longer drink. And as a result I probably think about these types of things more than I used to. Also, I believe I notice drunken behavior more than I used to. Based on my personal experiences and personal observations, banning something is not the answer. Of course there are caveats. But in general people who want to drink will find a way. Drinking during sporting events is a social custom which isn't going away. And the money that alcohol brings in means that it will ever be banned. Certain types of behavior are accepted, ingratiated into different events, and things become the way they are. If the PGA tour had an unwritten code of fans policing their own and making sure that some fans don't ruin it for the others, things might be better. I would assume this i not the case. Modern society makes it tricky to get into other peoples business.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally never understood why someone would want to pay the big ticket prices, parking, gas, hotel, food etc. and then get so loaded that you cant even remember what happened in the game.

I have seen this multiple times at Fenway. never made sense to me. ymmv

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Can you answer these?

True or false - banning the sale and/or consumption of alcohol on the premises of sporting events would reduce the number of drunk people present at the game.

True or false - banning the sale and/or consumption of alcohol on the premises of sporting events would result in a decreasing number of drunk people as the game progresses.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2022 1:57PM

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

Can you answer these?

True or false - banning the sale and/or consumption of alcohol on the premises of sporting events would reduce the number of drunk people present at the game.

True or false - banning the sale and/or consumption of alcohol on the premises of sporting events would result in a decreasing number of drunk people as the game progresses.

False

False

People will just sneak it in, you can wand them and set up metal detector machines but plastic bottles won’t set off an alarm.

Unless your ok with people being strip searched before entry

• Options
    RidethelightningRidethelightning Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

"Does alcohol cause too many problems at sporting events? "

BLASPHEMY !!!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never said ban it. I just think alcohol causes unnecessary problems. We saw how well it worked when alcohol was illegal. More people drank because it WAS illegal. 12,000 speak easies opened in NYC alone. Tell an American he can’t do something and for sure he will find a way.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

When Tony Romo mentions the Dallas Cowboys during his NFL broadcasts we demand to do a shot of Moonshine - so far None of us have ever seen the end of a game he was telecasting................

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

Can you answer these?

False

False

People will just sneak it in, you can wand them and set up metal detector machines but plastic bottles won’t set off an alarm.

Unless your ok with people being strip searched before entry

So your position is that at least as many people will sneak in alcohol and get drunk during the games as currently openly purchase alcohol and get drunk or tailgate on-site and get drunk? C'mon. No way.

And, OF COURSE, the number of drunk would people would decrease during the game with no alcohol to fuel their drunkenness. People would sober up over the course of the 4 hours at most events without alcohol to keep the buzz going.

• Options

@Tabe said:

So your position is that at least as many people will sneak in alcohol and get drunk during the games as currently openly purchase alcohol and get drunk or tailgate on-site and get drunk? C'mon. No way.

And, OF COURSE, the number of drunk would people would decrease during the game with no alcohol to fuel their drunkenness. People would sober up over the course of the 4 hours at most events without alcohol to keep the buzz going.

it's a sad truth it really isn't hard to get stuff into events. For Raider games in Oakland friends never had problems getting mary jane vapes in, and not even talking about hiding it they would just toss it in with their keys and wallets going through the detectors. Now granted alcohol would be a little harder to get in, but the amount of disguised items to smuggle in booze you can buy already is pretty impressive and banning booze would only flood that market more. Yes, banning it would stop a portion of people from getting intoxicated, but let's be honest with ourselves here, the ones who can't handle their liquor are going to be the types to smuggle booze in anyways. And yes I can attest to people not having a single drop inside the game and still being very intoxicated come the end of games just from the tailgating. But maybe that was just because Oakland had pretty much a massive drunk barbecue out front for every home game rain or shine, even for Thursday and Monday night games.

On a similar note, when the coliseum finally banned smoking in the breezeways it only made it worse since then the bathrooms became smoking lounges for the nicotine deprived. So instead of having at least an open air environment to let the harmful second hand smoke loose, anyone having to use the restroom now had to be forced into contact. But hey at least it masked the smell of the other business taking place in there.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2022 1:17PM

Actually, the problem starts before the sporting event gets started...

Rams fans in a action at 10 a.m. Kickoff?......1:30 P.M. Oh, Baby!
    GAMETIME!

Note Aaron Rodgers in the black sweater.... He started it! And notice all the smiling faces!.....AND the nice lady right in the center of the Action!! Nothing like a good beatdown!
    POSTGAME......

Just Another Day At The Park!

• Options
    edited May 26, 2022 1:42PM

All joking aside,...... I have noticed two things in all the drunk brawls I've ever seen at football games? All in Los Angeles or Anaheim. And I've seen a lot of them.........#1) A female is right in the middle of it ! Every time

And, #2) There are always jerks who come out of nowhere to throw a sucker punch.

A Twofer! ^^^^^^

• Options
    edited May 27, 2022 12:12PM

Ask Eli. Ask Drew. They're the pros...they should know.!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Ask Eli. Ask Drew. They're the pros...they should know.!

Where are you going with this?

• Options
    edited May 27, 2022 1:50PM

Where am I going with this?.....Glad you asked my friend.... Very perceptive of you! Answer?......Like everything in life......It all starts at the top.

Imitation Is The Highest Form Of Flattery.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2022 2:20PM

i'm at the Charles Schwab Challenge in Ft Worth as we speak (literally typing this from the golf course) and i'd be willing to bet that my BAC rivals Tom's in the pictures above. but I'm behaving myself. it is possible.

edit: just realized that today marks my 10-year anni on here. as if I needed another reason to drink another beer today. here's to 10 more completely fruitless years !

• Options
    edited May 27, 2022 4:41PM

@galaxy27 said:
    i'm at the Charles Schwab Challenge in Ft Worth as we speak (literally typing this from the golf course) and i'd be willing to bet that my BAC rivals Tom's in the pictures above. but I'm behaving myself. it is possible.

edit: just realized that today marks my 10-year anni on here. as if I needed another reason to drink another beer today. here's to 10 more completely fruitless years !

Congratulations on the ten years! And I too love my beer. But, I do behave myself, like you!......Otherwise.... a frying pan on my head!

P.S. GALIXICO, .....I think it was you who made a request of me a year or so ago to post a photo of The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant. Was it you?.....I didn't obey orders....But,.....I'm thinking about doing it now...because?..... It will fulfill my duty, AND.......IT'S THE BEST NEWS I'VE EVER HAD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE! .....As The Lovely One has said since she was a girl, " There Is A God!"

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Congrats on the 10 years @galaxy27!

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:

And,..Congrats to you LandrysFedora! I see you're at 900 posts!.....When you hit 1,000 I'll have Little Hydrantette Nicole bake you a cake!....She's a good cook....for a 10 year old!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@LandrysFedora said:

And,..Congrats to you LandrysFedora! I see you're at 900 posts!.....When you hit 1,000 I'll have Little Hydrantette Nicole bake you a cake!....She's a good cook....for a 10 year old!

Thank you sir!