Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Silver Eagle Set Composition Question

I have a 2017-W Silver Eagle Struck at Westpoint and I noticed that there is no slot for this coin in the set registry, only for a 2107-W that is burnished. Why is that? So this particular eagle has no home in the registry?
I also have a 2021 Type 1 MS70 that has a Last Of Production Label that seems to have no home either.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Marc

Comments

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@freeagle said:
    I have a 2017-W Silver Eagle Struck at Westpoint and I noticed that there is no slot for this coin in the set registry, only for a 2107-W that is burnished. Why is that? So this particular eagle has no home in the registry?
    I also have a 2021 Type 1 MS70 that has a Last Of Production Label that seems to have no home either.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    Marc

The 2017 eagles (bullion) were struck at Philadelphia, West Point, and San Francisco. The coins are all the same and have NO mint mark. Only the labels can tell you where they were minted. The 2021 silver eagle is the same coin whether it was first struck or last struck, and only the label is different.

The silver eagle registry set is set up for actual coin differences, not label differences. Both of your coins with additional label information should fit into the same slots for the other MS, bullion coins.

If the 2017-W actually has a W mint mark it is a burnished version, and labels could say MS or SP. Doesn't matter as they are burnished uncirculated if they have the W. I hope this helps.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2022 2:00PM

All non-proof American Eagles with the West Point mintmark are struck on burnished blanks to provide what the mint calls a "matte-like, brilliant finish." For some unknown reason the TPGs do not always show "burnished" on their labels. And as Goldminers pointed out they can receive an MS or SP designation depending on the TPGs. In the early years when these W burnished coins first appeared in 2006, MS was the only designation used by the TPGs.

So, these burnished coins may be graded MS or SP and may or may not have "burnished" on their label. They are referred to as the "collector version" of the business strike American Eagle and unlike bulk bullion coins are sold directly to the public in a presentation box with a COA in the same way that proof American Eagles are sold. In 2006-2008 the gold W's were even offered in four coin sets.

What's the difference between bullion, proof, uncirculated, and circulating coins?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt