Home U.S. Coin Forum

1950-D Roosevelt Dime FS-501

RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone tell me which variety is FS-501 for the specified date? I cannot seem to find anything on it other than the PCGS pop report and price guide. I think it is an RPM, but Variety Vista has not distinguished. They show three different ones for the date.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2022 7:29PM

http://varietyvista.com/07 Roosevelt Dimes/RPM Detail Files/1950SRPM005.htm

This is the only example graded from what the pops show. Hope this helps!
    Edit: I now see this may not be the exact variety you are looking for. It does seem to be similar in language, however. I'll keep digging. It seems to be the only RPM for the date that has any connection to an FS-501 or the Denver mint. The variety I posted was once believed to be a S/D, but it's now an S/S.

Coin Photographer.

• RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

Thanks. Definitely not the same. The FS-501 is for the S-mintmark, not the D. I will keep looking, too. I am hoping someone will know it off the bat and chime in.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2022 8:16AM

not sure variety vista is being updated since wiles (retired?).

501 is for mintmark varieties. i see the 1 in the pops. VERY unusual unless it is new.

i gave it a good effort but turned up nothing but i'm about to go to sleep so i'll have to revisit this. sending me to bed with my tail between my legs on this one!! nice find.

edited to add on sunday.

checked ngc, no fs-501. (tried anacs pops, can't access for some reason even though i accessed them very recently)

checked ebay active/sold
    gc active/sold
    ha active/sold

i wonder where that little stinker is!

@Rampage spoiler alert is it is the OP coin on the way back from pcgs?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@LanceNewmanOCC and @FlyingAl

I finally figured it out as I was eating lunch today. I found the answer in a place I would not have guessed...Mega Redbook. The variety is the D/S variety. So, same number as the S/D variety, just reverse order on the mint marks. Interesting that I could not find it using the internet. :smile:

@LanceNewmanOCC Sadly, no. I have two RPMs that are pretty strong. I was hoping the variety was one of them, so I could get it graded. :smiley: I recently ran into a pile (41 in total) of unc RPM Roosevelt dimes (all are Uncs), so trying to figure what to do with them. Half have FS numbers and the rest do not, but are on Variety Vista. The price was right for them, so I said sure, why not.

Thanks...

@Rampage said:

I finally figured it out as I was eating lunch today.

nice work!

i am currently moving my bedroom from upstairs to downstairs (find myself making too many trips for minor things) and didn't have easy access to my coin books (bottom shelf, all the way over bottom right with many boxes in front ugh) but looked at them and thought, nah, they're not in there if they're not online (but mine are old). LOL

(so i dug em out) i checked my 2019 redbook 72nd edition and 2017 megared 2nd edition (from a board member) and i don't see it in either of those. not sure what it means though.

what edition is your mega?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

@Rampage said:

I finally figured it out as I was eating lunch today. I found the answer in a place I would not have guessed...Mega Redbook. The variety is the D/S variety. So, same number as the S/D variety, just reverse order on the mint marks. Interesting that I could not find it using the internet. :smile:

So it does seem that the coin I posted is the one in the census? I did find it interesting that there was only one date/mintmark for the 501 variety and it was a S mint coin in multiple places. I wonder if CF was never updated?

Coin Photographer.

@FlyingAl said:

@Rampage said:

So it does seem that the coin I posted is the one in the census? I did find it interesting that there was only one date/mintmark for the 501 variety and it was a S mint coin in multiple places. I wonder if CF was never updated?

my brain wasn't working the first time so i'm glad you made your post because i popped open my mega red again and IT IS in there. i even looked at the stupid thing a couple times but i looked at some other OMMs and my brain just processed the date wrong. i was thinking of a different year.

they are both 501s because they are mintmark varieties and the next in line for discoveries that make the FS standard will be 502s.

from the image in the book i see this one as being highly debateable and that die pair was probably submitted previously over the years but turned down would be my guess. it isn't as clear (imo) as some of the other d/s. perhaps in-hand it is a bit more obvious?

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@FlyingAl said:

@Rampage said:

my brain wasn't working the first time so i'm glad you made your post because i popped open my mega red again and IT IS in there. i even looked at the stupid thing a couple times but i looked at some other OMMs and my brain just processed the date wrong. i was thinking of a different year.

they are both 501s because they are mintmark varieties and the next in line for discoveries that make the FS standard will be 502s.

from the image in the book i see this one as being highly debateable and that die pair was probably submitted previously over the years but turned down would be my guess. it isn't as clear (imo) as some of the other d/s. perhaps in-hand it is a bit more obvious?

The variety is not longer described as a D/S, but it is now an S/S. That is why there is not more than one certified by PCGS and the holder I posted is a little older. Also why the D variety in Variety Vista is not listed as the 501.

Coin Photographer.

edited May 22, 2022 2:03PM

@FlyingAl said:
    The variety is not longer described as a D/S, but it is now an S/S. That is why there is not more than one certified by PCGS and the holder I posted is a little older. Also why the D variety in Variety Vista is not listed as the 501.

i think we all need to start back at square one here.

which one are you saying is no longer listed as an OMM and why.

1. 1950-d/s (the lone example in the pcgs pops)

2. 1950 s/d the example you posted above

fwiw your statement that the d/s is now an s/s is impossible because the D is the prominent mintmark. (do you have an image of it?)

OR are you saying the #2 above, the s/d is now an s/s? it looks more like an s/d than an s/s. fwiw, imo

edited to add, i now see the s/s on variety vista listed as an S over hori S for the 501.

the lone pcgs example is not on variety vista either no matter what we call it. it isn't in the OMM section OR the RPM section. that mm and the area surrounding it is all messed up and thus easily identifiable.

@LanceNewmanOCC

I have the 7th edition Mega. There's two pictures of the D/S and the S/D. The FS-501 part is mentioned there for both.

edited May 22, 2022 2:08PM

@Rampage said:
    @LanceNewmanOCC

I have the 7th edition Mega. There's two pictures of the D/S and the S/D. The FS-501 part is mentioned there for both.

i updated my last post. i feel sharp and understand the situation but a couple things i typed sure isn't helping this now simple situation. my apologies to all.

it IS in my mega red too, which is 2nd edition.

@FlyingAl I think you are still referring to the S mint. As @LanceNewmanOCC stated, the D/S is still a D mint. Whether it is D/S or D/D or just D, it is still a D.

@LanceNewmanOCC

It's all a mess. I am confident that the coins I have are just regular ol RPMs. Nothing special. :smile:

Thanks

Now I'm getting it. Interesting there's no mention anywhere of any D mint FS-501 coin on the internet. NGC doesn't recognize one either.

Coin Photographer.

man i thought there was a low-pop monster omm out there to look for! - well there probably is, just not this one. ;)

i think there is still a minor detail i'm not grasping and/or missing here but i apparently have to do this when my brain is working a little better. thanks for the help and patience guys!

ok, came across this little guy and the first thing i thought of was me trying to understand this situation smoothly! ><

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file