Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

UPS debacle - RESOLVED!

backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

I won a few items in a recent Goldin auction and paid for them the next day. About 10 days go by and I haven't received anything so I check my account on Goldin's website and see a UPS tracking number. I check the tracking on UPS.com and see that Goldin shipped the package the day after I paid, and that UPS tried to deliver it three times to me during the day when nobody was home. No delivery attempt slips were ever left, so I had no idea they had attempted delivery. Had I known, I would have made alternative arrangements.

So this past Thursday I frantically call UPS.com to see if they will make another delivery attempt, and after being passed around to 5 people who really were not interested in helping, the last one said he spoke to the distribution center and that they have the package, and that they will call me within the hour to discuss making another delivery attempt, but technically it should be returned to sender because of three failed deliveries. They never called me, and later I saw that tracking was updated showing the package was moving again. So yesterday, I call Goldin to explain the situation, and they were very nice and understanding and said that when they get the package back they would send it out again to me. I felt a little reflief hearing this. The only thing odd was that the destination was showing Fraser, Michigan and I know Goldin is in New Jersey (the original destination was Delaware). I mentioned this to Goldin but they didn't react to it.

I've been watching the tracking all day today, and sure enough the package was delivered to Fraser, Michigan and proof of says that it was signed for at a residence by somone with my last name. I can't see the actual delivery address, only the city, but I happen to google my name and Fraser, Michigan, and sure enough there is someone with my same name that lives there. So apparently, UPS decided to send it to someone with my name in another state instead of returning to Goldin!

Unfortunately Goldin is closed on weekends so I can't get them involved from the shipper perspective until Monday. I did happen to find a phone number for this other person, and I tried calling once so far but got a voice message (didn't leave a message this time). Not sure if it's even an good number for this person.

This whole situation is unbelievable. And I will never use UPS willingly again!

Comments

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Backbidder,
    I would reach out to Goldin not the other person. You never know what's going on here. It's a UPS and Goldin issue. I simply would not be calling the person in Fraser. I hope this works out for you. My guess is Goldin has a completely wrong address and was sending it to Fraser. There probably was never any attempt to deliver the package to you.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2022 4:24PM

@Mickey71 said:
    Backbidder,
    I would reach out to Goldin not the other person. You never know what's going on here. It's a UPS and Goldin issue. I simply would not be calling the person in Fraser. I hope this works out for you. My guess is Goldin has a completely wrong address and was sending it to Fraser. There probably was never any attempt to deliver the package to you.

This.

Were the unsuccessful delivery attempts in Fraser or your hometown?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2022 5:19PM

@grote15 said:

@Mickey71 said:
    Backbidder,

This.

Delivery attempts were to the correct (my) address.

Appreciate the advice on calling the other person. I will wait to talk to Goldin on Monday.

• Options

@backbidder said:

@grote15 said:

@Mickey71 said:
    Backbidder,

This.

Delivery attempts were to the correct (my) address.

Appreciate the advice on calling the other person. I will wait to talk to Goldin on Monday.

That's really bizarre...how/who decided to change the routing of the delivery to a person with the same name in a different state.

Good luck in getting this straightened out and resolved.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2022 11:00PM

You should create a UPS profile so that you get automatic notifications every time a package is being shipped to your address.,..

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

Best thing you can do now is change your name. LOL
    Hoping that your items find their way safely and quickly back to you.

• Options

I'm glad your name is not John Smith....It may attempt to be delivered in every city in the United States. Please update when all this gets resolved as I would love to know how the package ended up in Fraser?? I'm sure there are other people in the US with your name also. This all seems so crazy.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:
    You should create a UPS profile so that you get automatic notifications every time a package is being shipped to your address.,..

I did that. For some reason I've been completely unable to access it for a couple of months or reset my password. Everything seems to be delivered properly, but no longer receiving notice from UPS automatically.

• Options

Quick update from today -

Goldin confirmed that UPS did reroute the package to someone with the same first and last name as me in another state for no apparent reason. They are as puzzled as I am. Goldin thus far has been very helpful. They are overnighting a certified letter to this person explaining the situation and enclosing a return label. They also called a phone number they believe belongs to this person and left a message.

Goldin says UPS has not been helpful at all. They offered no explanation as to why they shipped to this other person, nor are they willing to help retrieve the package.

Fingers crossed the other "me" is an honest person and will return the package.

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Sending positive mojo your way!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    threeofsixthreeofsix Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping this works out somehow!!! Good luck!

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one.
    Live long, and prosper.
  • Options

Most people I believe are honest. Hopefully, this turns out to be one of those times. Good luck! Hoping to see an update with good news!

• Options

Doesn't Goldin put an invoice or anything in the package? This seems so whacky. It also seems weird to me to use UPS with serious collectibles.

• Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Really wishing you best of luck. I had something similar when Ebay returned a package to an old address I had on file and they did nothing to help retrieve the item besides telling me if it was returned they would update the address and ship it out again, so at least Goldin is taking some charge. As for my item, I went to my old house a few weeks later when I was back in the area and the people said they never received anything. Don't people know it's a federal crime to open someone else's mail?! Guess that only works if you can prove they took it. Hopefully your recipients are more honest.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Good luck with everything. I'm sure I'd be a nervous wreck. I know I'd be livid at UPS.

As Grote said, I believe most people are honest. I do a lot of TTM autographs and a few years after I had moved from my old house I got a facebook message from a complete stranger who said that I had received a few letters to their house (the one I used to live at) and they had been trying to track me down. Turned out to be a couple of cards I sent out nearly five years earlier!

Fingers crossed.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sucks, and UPS has been a problem forever. Their website is a train wreck, tracking is bad and changing delivery is even worse (somehow). It's gotten so bad that I've considered never buying through Goldin anymore. Recently had a package coming from them that I couldn't get routed to a UPS store (no one would be home for delivery) that just magically showed up at my office. Still don't know how that happened.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

man, would I like to know who/why someone decided to re-route the package to someone with the same name in a different state. Why would someone even look up/search for the same name in other states? That is just so "out there" it is unfathomable. For UPS to not be assisting in any way they can is so f'd up -- why would a company as big as them not look into this and see who decided to re-route the package, as it was clearly a very stupid decision on that person's part.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2022 12:42PM

@Kepper19 said:
    man, would I like to know who/why someone decided to re-route the package to someone with the same name in a different state. Why would someone even look up/search for the same name in other states? That is just so "out there" it is unfathomable. For UPS to not be assisting in any way they can is so f'd up -- why would a company as big as them not look into this and see who decided to re-route the package, as it was clearly a very stupid decision on that person's part.

Other to their SHAREHOLDERS, UPS has ZERO accountability. Same with FEDEX. The USPS on their best ever day is middle of the road but I'll take them any day over the other choices.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last two box orders > @Kepper19 said:

I doubt there was an actual person involved in that decision unless there is fraud or the box label was illegible. Probably got mixed up with a load of packages. If a box gets put into the wrong bin, it will take a while to get routed back. I wouldn't give up hope of it showing up.

Mike
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@backbidder said:
    Quick update from today -

Goldin confirmed that UPS did reroute the package to someone with the same first and last name as me in another state for no apparent reason. They are as puzzled as I am. Goldin thus far has been very helpful. They are overnighting a certified letter to this person explaining the situation and enclosing a return label. They also called a phone number they believe belongs to this person and left a message.

Goldin says UPS has not been helpful at all. They offered no explanation as to why they shipped to this other person, nor are they willing to help retrieve the package.

Fingers crossed the other "me" is an honest person and will return the package.

I missed this part. Did UPS actually deliver the box to the other person? I assume Goldin uses Signature Confirmation.

Mike
  • Options

Yay!!!…

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

Great news!!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

There is hope for humanity yet

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Awesome! Continue to keep us posted!

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Great news. Hope they don’t use UPS to ship it to you. 👍

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear! Hope it works out.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2022 12:04PM

No thanks to USPS

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

You mean UPS.

• Options

I had a feeling that the guy who received the package was full of it. An expensive item would for sure have some type of invoice or something. He knew the item was not his.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2022 7:02PM

For 10 years now I've refused to do Business with those that insist on Fedex or UPS. The USPS may be pretty bad but the alternatives in my experience are so so so much worse.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great news!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    For 10 years now I've refused to do Business with those that insist on Fedex or UPS. The USPS may be pretty bad but the alternatives in my experience are so so so much worse.

I agree times 10. Yes, simply can't figure that out whatsoever. Seems odd to say the least.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

May have been only a few thousand dollar deal, but this will result 10 fold in speaking well for Goldin in the PR dept.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

So glad to hear your issue got happily resolved!!!

Live long, and prosper.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

The issues I’ve had with USPS always involve delay and/or annoyance. I have NEVER…in 25 years…had a USPS package permanently lost. I came close a couple of times, but it always turned up eventually.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm USPS or FedEx only, and in my office too. We stay far away from UPS for lots of reasons, but mostly because their tracking and website is 100% trash. Getting any kind of contact with someone live is also almost impossible.

Good to hear about Goldin. They've always been great, but have second guessed buying there due to them using UPS. Glad to hear they're on top of their game.

• Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Awesome to hear Backbidder! Gives hope to the others out there.