Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Unappreciated Rarity: 1982 New Hebrides 5 Francs, very nice Uncirculated

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS Europe did a small "newsie" on the 1982 NH 1 Franc coin that had the basics. In 1980 the country gained some measure of autonomy and was renamed "Vanuatu". The former colony had French-derived coins struck at Paris with the last issue in 1979. However as there was a perceived coin shortage, new coins were ordered up with the old New Hebrides designation utilized.

1 and 5 francs were minted in somewhat limited numbers and are recorded to have been extensively melted. Also reportedly struck were 10F and 20F pieces that may never have been delivered, or if so in limited numbers and it was long felt they were rumored and not confirmed. Eventually a couple of pictures of each surfaced on the internet but they were not exactly pristine with the 20F looking like it had spent time on an expressway for a while with fair amount of damage.

Anyway, I had the 1F and was looking for the others diligently when the following 5F showed up in an English auction. IMHO quite presentable and may get it graded but here for you all to see (the luster in hand breathtaking):

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely Raymond Joly design and rare, congratulations!

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that interesting bit of history. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Ah thanks, to me these are the real numismatic purchases and not the spending of thousands of dollars - which I certainly have done and still do on occasion.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 838 ✭✭✭✭

you have an interesting collection of modern rarities that aren't widely recognized, always interesting to read about

• Options

The coin graded MS65 at our hosts in case of interest....

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Ah thanks, to me these are the real numismatic purchases and not the spending of thousands of dollars - which I certainly have done and still do on occasion.

I bet Clasking would agree with you .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

I forgot to add that there was also a 1982 New Hebrides 2 francs struck. Also rare and not seen often..In order of rarity of these very uncommon (to say the least):
    20 francs scarcest, then the 10f, 5f and 2f about the same (I would rate the 5f somewhat more valuable however), and finally the 1f.
    For those interested......

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

lovely coin, I am a fan of Raymond Joly, got a book about hes work and, guess what, it was signed by him !

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

Wow, nice score & hope your own numismatic literature endeavours are progressing well!