Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question for autograph collectors.

1- The autopen was made commercially available in 1937.

2- I went to church with a mom who’s son pitched in the major leagues 3 years. She flat out told me that when he got TTM’s she signed and returned them.

3- The saying is that Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle have signed more items since their death then when they were alive.

If you Google fraud, sports memorabilia, autopen, signatures, you will not have to look hard to find something pertaining to the issue.

Just wondering how you all factor all this into how you collect your treasured pieces.

Especially from deceased players.

I know private signings are fantastic. I know there are plenty of legit signatures. Just wondering what steps you take to guarantee authentic signings. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

Just wondering what steps you take to guarantee authentic signings. Thanks

i'm stating the obvious, but you did ask. above all else, the absolute best step you can take to assure authenticity is to be sharing the same airspace when the ink starts flowing. if that's not possible, then there are no certainties. none. companies like JSA and PSA are merely offering up their opinions. and you know what they say about opinions. they don't place 'ironclad' in the verbiage for a reason.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

One day I went in to a restaurant and someone written my name down on the list in my hand before I got there. My signature hasn't changed since I was in high school.

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2022 5:47PM

Guarantee the auto ? Say you swear to God...... that should do it.