Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Extremely Simple Code Fix

alefzeroalefzero Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will avoid saying anything that might violate the rules here.

When looking at the Silver Eagles big set (and likely applies in other sets as well), it only accepts the vanilla labels, but not the [ridiculous in view] Mint Engraver, MLB Hall of Famer, ... signatures and similar vanity labels. However, since any cert verification look up identifies the "special" PCGS number as a subset of the basic PCGS number, the one that is accepted in the set slot, it is obviously right there as some parent column in the database table. The additional query to allow all of those in is trivial; can be added and tested in 10 minutes. It would take significantly longer to add all of them to the slots individually.

Example:

Comments

• JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

I have argued this as well as related to the PCGS stated values in My Inventory lists...

PCGS claims that as a norm they do not specify values for "Specialty Labels"

In My view...any graded coin has an associated grading fee...and PCGS promises to maintain the Price Guide as a reference

Having created the Specialty Label and being paid the price for A) the Label and B) the grading - should be enough incentive to maintain the price guide

As far as the Slots...NO Special Label should qualify a coin for a new Slot

The Slot is designed for the COIN - Not the Label

Several Sets have been corrected recently with this rule in mind - more to come

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would make participation more attractive. As it stands, had I known that many of those Eagles I have would not be acceptable because of the specialty labels, I simply would not have bothered registering all of them and doing the sets. With the cert verify, if gives the population and that for the parent regular label and all specialty ones under it combined. It is not only easy but consistent with that approach.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've spent the past couple of weeks submitting slot requests for many of my First Strike coins from the past few years that were left out and I finally went to the effort of auditing everything which took hours of effort.

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    I've spent the past couple of weeks submitting slot requests for many of my First Strike coins from the past few years that were left out and I finally went to the effort of auditing everything which took hours of effort.

That is why this will be an easy way for them to approach the task. No laborious maintenance nor missing a PCGS number here or there. They already have it laid out and available with an extraordinarily simple query adjustment. (Deleted my general critique of "modern" code development.)

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another easy query function would be: Sets with inventory available for unfilled slots. Basically a query that shows if you have any "Add Coin" results.

I have lots of these instances and with 100's of sets it's impossible to go through and make sure they are all up to date. This seems to happen every year because I buy the current year's coins before the composites are updated.