Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinion on these 1984 Wax packs please

PhilsFan2008PhilsFan2008 Posts: 20 ✭✭

Just received a box of 1984 Topps wax, from a seller who said it was from a case that he had for many years. Most of the packs look legit, but these look re-sealed to me. Frankenstein box perhaps? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Folds look good. That torn area is similar for all packs so they probably got snagged the same time when being made.

Probably legit.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

They look fine to me also. 80s wax is notorious for miswraps and sloppy wraps.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

There's a niggle in my brain I can't get rid of- can you explain the tightness variations Tim ? I'm just having issues myself with the amount of tightness I'm seeing on the wraps. Some are inconsistent with the rest of the packs. I'd expect on an unopened box the majority to have a feature that's consistent throughout the box. these have one corner in particular that's got my "reseal "niggle in overdrive.

Is the amount of tightness on these normal?

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭

IMO, I think the bad wrappers help prove that this box is legit. A resealer would not use those wrappers or would at least try to clean them up.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

@jeffv96masters said:
    There's a niggle in my brain I can't get rid of- can you explain the tightness variations Tim ? I'm just having issues myself with the amount of tightness I'm seeing on the wraps. Some are inconsistent with the rest of the packs. I'd expect on an unopened box the majority to have a feature that's consistent throughout the box. these have one corner in particular that's got my "reseal "niggle in overdrive.

Is the amount of tightness on these normal?

The seals are sloppy but the corner folds appear original and tight and that kind of tearing is really not that unusual with wax packs from this era. Always hard to say with certainty from a pic but I don't see anything here that indicates tampering. It's also quite possible not all 36 packs are original to this one box and quality control at Topps during this era was often quite shoddy, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Another common sign of resealed wax is that the corners appear a bit "pointy" instead of squared and I don't see that here, either.

• Options

Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge and experience regard this. Much appreciated!

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

I have an opened case of 84T and have definitely seen some irregular seals in the boxes that we have opened. No different than the 83-87 in general that we have seen some packs exhibit in our house. Not that this confirms authenticity, but thought it might be helpful to OP.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too