Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

How much script with an Autograph is TOO MUCH?

With the addition of highly sought after auto's especially on RC's being so coveted by the hobby as witnessed by enormous premiums for high PSA/DNA dual grades for HOF'er's ~ how much script and even unattractive auto's themselves do you find appealing........ this Ichiro I find to be quite much. Even more difficult is to make out what is transcribed on the card. I think I'd prefer just a simple autograph without the additions.

Comments

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

On cards, I almost prefer just the auto since space is limited. On photographs, it's different and it would be perfectly fine with me because there's so much more room and wouldn't look so crowded.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cards- just name
    Photos - 1 inscription
    Jerseys- more if needed

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I don't like when autos obscure of interfere with important aspects of the cards, ie. name bar in the above card, or large portions of the player photo.

• erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I'm not a fan of inscriptions on cards since they are so small. I have seen cards that have 2 or 3 inscriptions and half the card or more is covered by the auto and inscriptions. Just not appealing to me.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

most modern players either sign as if they were children or just give initials. in that case, I would prefer a rare insert with no auto. if the player has a nice/neat sig, i would prefer just the sig with a finer tipped marker.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Mickey Mantle, Bobby Orr, and Wayne Gretzky sign cards the best way. Name and number or just name.

• gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    Mickey Mantle, Bobby Orr, and Wayne Gretzky sign cards the best way. Name and number or just name.

With all the Mantle autographs out there,I had a feeling he was still signing.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are lots and lots and lots of fake mantle sigs out there.

and you are not wrong. there are many mantle balls still being signed out there, just not by the Mick

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44...... Indeed, I've jacked up my fee for signing Mantle auto's 150% in the last year....

• mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

I have no interest in inscriptions. To each their own, but it's just writing on the card at that point, no matter who did it.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 473 ✭✭✭✭

I actually like to ask for inscriptions that are not run of the mill and make it a little more unique, remind me of something about the player I like. But agree a lot of that does not fit on a card well. I know its not a popular opinion but not a huge fan of autos on cards anyway. I would like to see if Frank Thomas would sign with a "She'll Like it Too" inscription.

Pics are Bob Horner George Foster Maury Wills BTW.

• CMKLCMKL Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

I like the way Dave Winfield added best wishes on this card to the left side. It compliments the signature.

• CMKLCMKL Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

And the way The Chicken (Ted Giannoulas) added The KGB Chicken. Just enough to be different, but not over the top.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knew he was called the San Diego Chicken and the World Famous Chicken but never knew he was affiliated with the KGB! Cool autos and cards.

The chicken auto is perfectly placed and I like the choice of the black ink.

Some only like blue ink. Great eye appeal to the card.

In this card below either black or blue ink would work because of the card layout. It is a well place auto that gives good eye appeal to the card.

Sometimes the color of the ink can make a big difference.

And sometimes it doesn’t.

• omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Does it bug anyone else when athletes put bible verses in their inscriptions? Doesn't bother me due to religious beliefs, just usually looks sloppy and adds clutter that can get especially confusing with multiple sigs on things when you have number and names being added in with it. Would agree cards name number, maybe if they were an MVP or championship winner sometimes can be nice depending on how big they sign. Most things above a card I think it adds a nice historical and personal touch.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best inscription ever!