Home Sports Talk
Options

Jimbo Fisher goes off on Nick Saban

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is one heck of a feud going on between Jimbo Fisher and Nick Saban, and Jimbo Fisher went off on Nick Saban at press conference Thursday.

Alabama coach Nick Saban set the college football world abuzz Wednesday night when he told a gathering of business leaders in the state that Texas A&M assembled the top-ranked recruiting class in the country because it "bought every player" with name, image and likeness deals.

Decrying the influence of money in recruiting, Saban said NIL was being used unfairly. At Alabama, he said of its No. 2-ranked class, "We didn't buy one player all right?"

Then Aggies coach Jimbo Fisher quickly assembled a news conference on Thursday morning in order to respond, and gasoline was poured on the fire.

Comments

• Options

Of course, there's only one way to settle this.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like many of you, I have followed the debate about paying college athletes for years. When the NIL rules come into place, I read and heard much debate over the impact they would have, both immediate and long term. This type of scenario was often discussed.

• Options
    edited May 20, 2022 5:06AM

@thisistheshow said:
    Like many of you, I have followed the debate about paying college athletes for years. When the NIL rules come into place, I read and heard much debate over the impact they would have, both immediate and long term. This type of scenario was often discussed.

I can't wait until A&M plays Bama on October 8th. Meanwhile, Twitter is having an absolute field day with this feud, this video is hilarious.

• Options

Yes, and Jimbo Fisher put up ridiculous numbers in that press conference rant, just ridiculous numbers, check out his stat line.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an alum of the pac-8 now the pac-12. I still keep in touch with guys from the 70's. I'm always interested in recent or past developments.

Su'a Cravens was a 5* who ended up at SC. He said, if I may paraphrase, that he was offered $10,000 in cash to show up to SEC schools. Just to show up on campus. He said all the SEC schools offered money to him in high school. The PAC was the only conference where not one school offered money because they knew they'd get hit with serious recruiting violations.

The SEC and Satan can put it where the sun doesn't shine as far as I'm concerned. The NCAA has turned a blind eye toward the SEC as long as I can remember. When does the SEC get serious recruiting violations? Satan's half time speech is short, " if you guys don't start blocking- you all going to class next week".

Have a nice day
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

The NIL is a game changer and is like the wild west right now. It needs some structure and is here to stay. Star college players can make some serious money legally. Is this good for the game? It depends on your view. Just too much money in the game and everyone should get their cut, including the folks playing. Man, that Arch Manning kid will be millionaire in 2023. He's a legit 5 star QB and will be a future pro like his uncles.

• Options

Here is the video, this is what got Jimbo Fisher upset.

• Options

I think this comment from Clay Travis pretty much sums it up:

"Jimbo Fisher taking a blow torch to Nick Saban. I’ve never seen anything like this in college football. Not in public, anyway. This is deeply personal."

• Options

Mark it down on your calendar folks, October 8th!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick Saban complaining about this stuff is hilarious. He's just mad that a former assistant beat him on the recruiting trail. Did Jimbo buy some or all of the players? Probably. Has Saban done the exact same thing while overrecruiting and abusing SEC scholarship rules for over a decade? Yep. Did Saban really blast players for caring about money while he himself has skulked away in the middle of the night from jobs in pursuit of more money multiple times? Yep.

Saban is a garbage human being and I'm loving every second of this dust-up.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only reason Saban is saying that is he's trying to deflect the reality of him doing the same Damn thing! (IMO)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

Now Deion Sanders is also feuding with Nick Saban, this is very entertaining!

Deion Sanders fires back at Nick Saban after Alabama coach claimed Jackson State paid top recruit $1 million

Alabama coach Nick Saban set fire to college football's offseason on Wednesday night by flat-out claiming Texas A&M "bought" every player on its team through name, image and likeness (NIL) deals. However, the Aggies weren't the only ones in Saban's crosshairs during a nearly 7-minute, wide-ranging rant on NIL. Jackson State and coach Deion Sanders were also targeted when Saban said the Tigers paid a recruit seven figures to sign a National Letter of Intent.

"Jackson State paid a guy $1 million last year who was a really good Division I player to come to their school," said Saban. "It was in the paper, and they bragged about it. No one did anything about it."

Saban was likely referring to former Florida State commit Travis Hunter Jr. The No. 1 prospect in the 2022 recruiting class stunned the sport in December's Early Signing Period when he spurned the Seminoles and signed with Jackson State. The dollar amount would appear to stem from reports -- which have been refuted -- that Hunter earned $1 million through an NIL deal with Barstool Sports.

Regardless, the claim didn't sit well with Sanders, who quickly fired back on Twitter while teasing a longer response on Thursday.

"You best believe I will address that LIE Coach SABAN told tomorrow," Sanders wrote on Twitter. "I was & awakened by my son @ShedeurSanders that sent me the article stating that WE PAYED @TravisHunterJr a Million to play at @GoJSUTigersFB ! We as a PEOPLE don't have to pay our PEOPLE to play with our PEOPLE."

Not to be outdone by his coach, Hunter also took to Twitter to dispute the notion that he was paid seven figures to sign with the Tigers.

Saban and Sanders have shot commercials together recently, which could make their next encounter a bit awkward, especially since Saban was complimentary toward Sanders following Hunter's commitment.

"I have a lot of respect for Deion Sanders," Saban said at the time. "He's a good coach. He's a good guy, was a great player. Has got a great personality, and I enjoy doing commercials with him. But it's not for me to comment on who makes what decisions to go where based on what circumstances. He got a great player, and I think that's good for his program. I'm not really going to make any comments about what happened. I don't really know the background or the details of what happened there. But everybody has the right to make those choices and those decisions. That's why it's America. Everybody has freedom of choice. I'm happy for him that he got a great player."

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 9:03PM

It was stupid for Saban to open his mouth. Nobody feels sorry for his 10 natty's, or whatever how many he has. Good for Jimbo.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 21, 2022 7:44AM

STREETER, you forgot Reggie Bush and USC. Didn't Bush get $300,000+
    Maybe you're still mad over that 52-6 drubbing Satan gave you in 2016.

COOL, you forget to mention Terrelle Pryor, how many cars did he have?
    Maybe you're still mad over that 52-24 drubbing Satan put on your boys in 2020.

***While looking up some facts I did notice a story about the "team doctors" at both OSU and Michigan....OMG.

SEC, SEC, SEC.....we be yo daddy.... ;)

• Options

@Bullsitter said:

***While looking up some facts I did notice a story about the "team doctors" at both OSU and Michigan....OMG.

SEC, SEC, SEC.....we be yo daddy.... ;)

I went to Cal. We're boy scouts.🙄

Have a nice day
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

>
    What does all of this have to do with the topic? :/

Maybe you're still butthurt over Jimbo beating you guys last year :D

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Bullsiter

It really pains me to say this but the SEC has good FB teams in a miserably hot swamp like humid environment. Good for you guys, but.....
    The SEC is no one's daddy. There's nothing else to do in Tuscaloosa or Athens. Let's hope your FB teams can continue to provide the entertainment you need besides reruns of I Love Lucy and Green Acres.

Cal does not pay for talent but may have to accelerate adopting NIL.
    SC on the other hand will unfortunately outspend everyone. There's hundreds of million of dollars ready to be committed. You're just now seeing the tip of the iceberg with the OK coach, QB and receivers that transferred through the portal. They have alums that will spend HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS IF NEEDED.

Have a nice day