Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading opinions on this Nolan Ryan rookie

Wanting opinions on this Ryan Rookie, I've never had a card graded but interested in doing this one. I know it's OC but the corners are sharp. Being this OC would it be better with PSA or SGC. And what's the best guess on a grade.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 12:55PM

Does PSA still use the miscut qualifier? I say miscut as its O/C greater than 100/0

Seems to me regardless of who grades 4-5 full grades will be remove right of the bat. My guess is best case you are looking at a PSA 3 or 4 . If you are keeping the card, I say SGC but if you are planning on selling then PSA. Reason is I feel given the miscut it will present more nicely with the black background SGC slab.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to see the corners properly from a blurry picture instead of a scan, but it could be a 7MC.

• Options

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    Does PSA still use the miscut qualifier? I say miscut as its O/C greater than 100/0

Seems to me regardless of who grades 4-5 full grades will be remove right of the bat. My guess is best case you are looking at a PSA 3 or 4 . If you are keeping the card, I say SGC but if you are planning on selling then PSA. Reason is I feel given the miscut it will present more nicely with the black background SGC slab.

Thanks for the reply, I would be keeping the card. Just curious though, when I look on the sgc website they say a 3 would need to be 90/10 or better ,so if it's 100/0 MC would that disqualify it from being a 3 or 4. Or am I reading to much into their grading descriptions.

• Options

@nam812 said:
    Hard to see the corners properly from a blurry picture instead of a scan, but it could be a 7MC.

Understood, best I could get on my phone no scanner at my house.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

@Richeysd1976 said:

Just curious though, when I look on the sgc website they say a 3 would need to be 90/10 or better ,so if it's 100/0 MC would that disqualify it from being a 3 or 4.

No, think of it as being graded as a 5 or 6, then getting 2 grade points deducted making it a 4 or 3 (if they DON'T put the actual MC qualifier on the flip)... Thus, if it was graded a 7 MC, that is the equivalent of a straight 5, with the miscut already being deducted/taken into account.

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

DM me if you want to sell it