Home Sports Talk
Options

Well, We're On Fire,....Again

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 18, 2022 12:03PM in Sports Talk

It never stops. This year is going to be BAD!.....

Hopefully, help is on the way. I hope they get here quick... Real Quick!

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep the Hydrants' safe

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is that a wild fire? I feel bad for those who have to live near that stuff, it must be nerve wracking.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be safe

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

🙏

• Options
    edited May 18, 2022 2:04PM

@doubledragon said:
    Is that a wild fire? I feel bad for those who have to live near that stuff, it must be nerve wracking.

I don't know what the name of it is. But that thing was very, very close to the house. You can't tell from the pictures. Right now. It's not nerve wracking but just a way of life. Second one in less than 2 months. The other one was a monster! This year is going to be bad. Horrible drought. No rain since last November. The brush reaches a point where there is so little moisture in the plant and then the combination of that and heat creates a spontaneous combustion. Well, when I was 10/11 years old we had it happen late one evening...... Burned the house down..... I'll never forget standing in the dark and watching that. Everything gone...just like that. The women were devestated. But we built back. ...There is ALWAYS a Silver Lining To Every Dark Cloud....Because of all the fire prevention precautions we take around here, my boys started a Fire Protection Company. They know all about it. They service all of SoCal.......I was never so proud as when I over heard a conversation they were having, "We have to do good work because people's lives depend on it.". The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant raised some good boys.

• Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

I feel for you good luck. I live right in the heart of where the Dixie Fire was last year. Had to evacuate for 2 months. And the season is only just starting.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2022 3:48PM

@omgjedi said:
    I feel for you good luck. I live right in the heart of where the Dixie Fire was last year. Had to evacuate for 2 months. And the season is only just starting.

Yea, The Dixie Fire. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant has cousins up around Feather River Canyon. What a mess that was.

It's only going to get worse. Too many careless people moving into the foothills. Just the way it is.....

• Options
    edited May 18, 2022 4:14PM

@omgjedi said:

The season is only just starting?!?!?!..... Hey, the season starts in September/October. Or late July early August at earliest! It's only MAY!!!!!........THIS IS GOING TO BE BAD!

But,....you are correct, Omni!.....The season has started!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@omgjedi said:

It's only going to get worse. Too many careless people moving into the foothills. Just the way itis.....

If you care to, can you extrapolate a bit?

• Options
    omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Friend of mine does the wild fire seasonal fighting, usually busy from May through to October. That's just the reserve guys that work seasonally, not to mention all the full time guys. I am up in Lassen by Lake Almanor, and there is a Cal Fire station every 15 minutes or so with full crews 24/7. It's already pretty dry up here, got a few shower and some snow here and there the last month but not enough.

• Options
    edited May 18, 2022 5:44PM

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

@omgjedi said:

It's only going to get worse. Too many careless people moving into the foothills. Just the way itis.....

If you care to, can you extrapolate a bit?

Sure, Show man....#1). Too many careless people moving into the foothills;...The population is moving out of the cities and into the foothills. The foothills are what we call the small mountain ranges below the taller ranges. Building homes, vacation cabins, etc. They are not careless in the sense of being reckless, but they just don't know that all brush, shubbry, etc., should be removed around the house. A lot of people think it's cool to have native plants growing in their yard......BACK TO NATURE!......it's a disaster waiting to happen. Very sad. See it all the time in our business.

2) Fire Season;.....the seasons are different in California than in most parts of the country. Many people here are from back East and they don't know that. The hottest months of the year here are late September and thru October. It cooks. That is the Fire Season. It can go into November or December. That's the hot dry time here......anyway, I predict a terrible fire year. The drought is bad. No rain here since November. None. In our business we work with fire code enforcement. We tell people what to do to be safe.......they don't listen.... we try....Very sad.....and......the Fire Crews ......those guys are heros!

• Options
    edited May 18, 2022 6:46PM

And....so many of the native plants in California are just naturally flammable. Creasote. They will burn in the rain. In fact, the moist atmosphere will intensify the flame. For example, fresh cut wood cuttings from trees do not have to cure or dry out. It burns green. The reason that the landscape in California is so beautiful is because of fire. The fire devastates the land......clears it out of underbrush...but the plant seed pods are opened by the fires. Waiting for the Winter rains to germinate. Unfortunately, no Winter rain this year......Nature.

Just last week...close to home

Look at the photos. Like I said, people are moving out of the cities and into the foothills. You can't see it in the photos, but behind all those new housing developments are the mountains. When I was a kid there were no houses there. The place burned every year or so........Only difference now?......It still burns but so do the houses. Keeps us busy trying to prevent that. All new housing in SoCal requires tile roofs and sprinkler systems in the house. It helps but........

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

That home in Laguna was one signature away from closing escrow. Ten mil.

I moved out a few years ago. Too many problems.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2022 7:03PM

@streeter said:

Your signature?.....Yea, we work on a lot of houses around there. Man!.....the money outlay on those joints is outrageous!...... Well, good for you. I've backed out on many a deal in O.C. because of "problems." A lot of the construction work on those "Palaces" around there is sub-par. The owner/builder just wants it done FAST! Looks good on the outside but the interior, framing, plumbing, electrical, etc., work is shoddy. You're A smart man, Streeter!

• Options

Thank you for that very educational extrapolation @hydrant

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@streeter said:

Your signature?.....Yea, we work on a lot of houses around there. Man!.....the money outlay on those joints is outrageous!...... Well, good for you. I've backed out on many a deal in O.C. because of "problems." A lot of the construction work on those "Palaces" around there is sub-par. The owner/builder just wants it done FAST! Looks good on the outside but the interior, framing, plumbing, electrical, etc., work is shoddy. You're A smart man, Streeter!

No no no. Lol
    Not my signature. I just read the article from the listing broker.

Have a nice day
  • Options

Well, here we go again! Third one in the last couple of months. This one has me a little worried. Just took the photos.

It's hotter than Hell around here right now.

• Options

Are those buildings in the picture yours, or close to you?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Are those buildings in the picture yours, or close to you?

That's my neighbor's house. The photos were taken from my front porch.....That fire is getting bigger than in the photos. Pray the wind doesn't shift. It's much closer than it looks. Got in the old truck, the one Tom Brady wrecked, to check it out. Oh, Baby!....It's a Burner! There are no houses or out buildings in it's path right now. This is the worst drought in history around here.....Spontaneous combustion time!......This one looks bad, but no houses, etc., for 15/20 miles if it keeps moving South.....Problem is the wind kicks up this time of day.......then?????....

• Options

It's growing..... The problem is wind born sparks right now flying thru the air that land on the roof and get into the attic....When I was a kid the old ranch house burned to the ground because of that.....Oh, well......keep your fingers crossed....... Wait until October...... Thats when it gets really bad.....If there's anything left to burn by then!!

• Options

🙏

• Options

It's gone......Moved South.......I got in the car and went up the hill to check things out.............THERE WAS A BIGGER FIRE UP THERE!!!......It's unreal!

• Options

Hydrant, please be safe. I know what it's like to have the motorhome on standby. Just leave if you are not confident.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2022 6:31PM

Correction, it's back. I'm getting prepared!

See that white haze down in the valley, below the mountain?.... That's smoke from a fire too!.....I'm surrounded!

• Options
    edited June 11, 2022 7:14PM

Hey, The Little Hydrants are on their way out!.....The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ is filling the trough. Combo fire fighting measure and swimming for the kids!.....WHATEVER!!!

• Options

🙏

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why live there?
    Unless you are somehow linked there via job or other considerations, I would move. It does amaze me that those who just love the view or whatever, constantly run the risk of seeing their multi-million $$ home turn to ashes. Kinda like those who just lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve the ocean at the Outer Banks in NC or live close to or along the coast of the Atlantic, every year they risk having a hurricane literally wash their homes into the sea. Much like living in the panhandle area of Florida, a 15 foot high wall or sea water is not very forgiving.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers sent for the Hydrants.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep safe! My sister in SC has to worry about hurricanes, you have to worry about fires, and I have to worry about tornadoes (We are actually under tornado watches for tonight) - no matter where you live it seems like its always something to worry about!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited June 13, 2022 12:59PM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Why live there?
    Unless you are somehow linked there via job or other considerations, I would move. It does amaze me that those who just love the view or whatever, constantly run the risk of seeing their multi-million $$ home turn to ashes.........

It's A unique situation here. For one thing, my job is here. My commute to work exists of me walking out my door every morning to go into the orange grove, etc. Also, the Hydrants have lived on this place for 6 continuous generations now. This place is who I am......there's something special, about watching the Little Hydrants work and play under the same trees and in the same fields that their ancestors worked and played in. Every evening, The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ goes for a walk on the ranch with the little ones....... Oh, the treasures they return with.....old family relics that they find....Little Joey found an old rusted rifle recently, last week Little Jenny brought back a fabulous arrowhead....

on and on........I couldn't leave if I wanted too......and I don't...... You wouldn't either.

Why live here?.......It's a NO BRAINER....

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, you do make your point. Sadly, you are plagued with fires. Beautiful scenery!!
    I'll bet the little one with the "backseat driver" is a handful!

I only have to put up with heat and humidity. Today's heat index is 104, it's just hot, hot, hot here in June, July and August. I live mid-way between Atlanta and Augusta GA. We have our little slice of heaven in a gated retirement community, quiet and peaceful.

GL with all the fire.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2022 1:30PM

@MCMLVTopps said:

Yes, she is.....She runs the show!

I only have to put up with heat and humidity. Today's heat index is 104, it's just hot, hot, hot here in June, July and August. I live mid-way between Atlanta and Augusta GA. We have our little slice of heaven in a gated retirement community, quiet and peaceful.

I've spent a lot of time in Georgia and the Southern states...... When the temperature there in the Summer time is in the 80's?......it's the worst heat that I've ever experienced!..... So many people here are moving there.....I tell them that they will not be
    able to take the humidity, etc., they don't listen....OH!.....The cheap houses....thats all they think about...then I hear back from them......they hate it!

GL with all the fire.

Thanks Brother

SEMPER FI

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forget the fires, how's your power grid these days?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

🙏> @Hydrant said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Yes, she is.....She runs the show!

I've spent a lot of time in Georgia and the Southern states...... When the temperature there in the Summer time is in the 80's?......it's the worst heat that I've ever experienced!..... So many people here are moving there.....I tell them that they will not be
    able to take the humidity, etc., they don't listen....OH!.....The cheap houses....thats all they think about...then I hear back from them......they hate it!

GL with all the fire.

Thanks Brother

SEMPER FI

I am a person who sweats easily. But believe it or not, I sweat a lot less in North Texas than I did on the south shore of Massachusetts. It's the humidity. South Texas, nearer the water, can be the same heat or hotter but with high humidity.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

Good point. I am not in Ca but in the Fort Worth area. I just told my wife and kids to keep everything charged up and full. Blackouts are being reported.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Good point. I am not in Ca but in the Fort Worth area. I just told my wife and kids to keep everything charged up and full. Blackouts are being reported.

CA is like a 3rd world state in a 3rd world country. Except for the whether at is! 🤣 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited June 13, 2022 3:31PM

@OAKSTAR said:

@thisistheshow said:

@OAKSTAR said:

CA is like a 3rd world state in a 3rd world country. Except for the whether at is! 🤣 😂

Oak Baby.......You're right!.....100% correct!..... But it's nothing new. It's always been that way here. Many of my friends growing up lived in dirt floor shacks....Chickens running in the yard!....its still that way around here. Nothing changes. We didn't have electricity or water service on the ranch until I was 14 years old....Yep, 3rd. World.....most poor people in the country live right here.... California....I think that's always been the case. But,....the folks are generally happy, outgoing folks. A six pack, candy for the kids...you might be surprised!...... Money isn't everything. The poor people find happiness where they find it...and they do! And yes, people are poor here, very Third World........but they go to work every day.......grow the crops, pick the vegetables and fruit that you eat, and then they do it again the next day for very little money. Very, very, Third World. You got that right.......BTW......Did you enjoy your orange juice and avocado toast this morning?...... And the fresh salad with juicy tomatoes last night for dinner? Brought to you courtesy of 3rd.World California....... You're Welcome!

The California Third Worlders Do This

So Other Folks Can Do This

How 😂 is that, my friend?

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@thisistheshow said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Oak Baby.......You're right!.....100% correct!..... But it's nothing new. It's always been that way here. Many of my friends growing up lived in dirt floor shacks....Chickens running in the yard!....its still that way around here. Nothing changes. We didn't have electricity or water service on the ranch until I was 14 years old....Yep, 3rd. World.....most poor people in the country live right here.... California....I think that's always been the case. But,....the folks are generally happy, outgoing folks. A six pack, candy for the kids...you might be surprised!...... Money isn't everything. The poor people find happiness where they find it...and they do! The Hollywood thing is an illusion. And yes, people are poor here, very Third World........but they go to work every day.......grow the crops, pick the vegetables and fruit that you eat, and then they do it again the next day for very little money. Very, very, Third World. You got that right.......BTW......Did you enjoy your orange juice and avocado toast this morning?...... And the fresh salad with juicy tomatoes last night for dinner? Brought to you courtesy of 3rd.World California....... You're Welcome!

Congratulations my friend, you're living the American Dream in the Golden State!

• Options
    edited June 13, 2022 10:02PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    Congratulations my friend, you're living the American Dream in the Golden State!

I agree with everything you say, my friend.
    I assume that you live in the state of Shangri-La. If so, I'm happy for you.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@OAKSTAR said:

You might consider jointing the crowd.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2022 6:14PM

@OAKSTA

@OAKSTAR said:

@Hydrant said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Thanks for the tip, but it's already a done deal......like 30 years ago.......I got in on the ground floor.........MAN!....the prices were so cheap I couldn't refuse!......The beaches in Baja are AWESOME!

Just a vacation pad.......Norte is Home.......Baja for FUN!

• Options

BTW, Oak, I liked your posts over on the Coin Forum this morning....... good stuff!

• Options

Thanks @Hydrant, I enjoy your posts as well. 👍🏻

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@OAKSTA

@OAKSTAR said:

@Hydrant said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Thanks for the tip, but it's already a done deal......like 30 years ago.......I got in on the ground floor.........MAN!....the prices were so cheap I couldn't refuse!......The beaches in Baja are AWESOME!

Just a vacation pad.......Norte is Home.......Baja for FUN!

As I've said before, I just live vicariously through you guys.

Quick, @doubledragon , post your broken down bed so I can feel a bit better about my life.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2022 7:15PM

Oak Baby,....it was your post about the 1973-D Kennedy. Condition so-so, but that's a good one! Especially since it's a roll find. A keeper! Congrats.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

Everybody has to live with the conditions that exist where they are. I chose Albuquerque and will spend the rest of my days here. It is not the perfect place but I am satisfied. Good luck to everybody whereever you happen to be.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Oak Baby,....it was your post about the 1973-D Kennedy. Condition so-so, but that's a good one! Especially since it's a roll find. A keeper! Congrats.

Thanks @Hydrant! I got lucky. I almost missed it. The doubling isn't that strong. I had to look at it 4 times, with the right light reflection to actually see it.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2022 8:48PM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Everybody has to live with the conditions that exist where they are. I chose Albuquerque and will spend the rest of my days here. It is not the perfect place but I am satisfied. Good luck to everybody whereever you happen to be.

In my opinion, Albuquerque has the best weather of any town in the U.S.A......Just don't go to Disasters Burritos on Lomas!... I think they changed the name......good move........Blake's on Candelaria makes the best hamburger anywhere!.... The meat comes fresh from the factory out back.......it beats California's In-N-Out Burger hands down!..... Best kept secret in the country!

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎👎

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@Hydrant said:

Thanks @Hydrant! I got lucky. I almost missed it. The doubling isn't that strong. I had to look at it 4 times, with the right light reflection to actually see it.

Yes, you have a good eye.....That one is tough!