Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1966 South Africa 7-Coin Proof Set

ELuisELuis Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 17, 2022 7:11AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I went to a numismatic show and bought this past weekend the set among some other coins, it is on the original box and all seven coins still are inside the plastic protection, never have been opened or cut,15,000 were issued, for what I just found out.

The silver coin 1 Rand have a beautiful gold patina, the box is not in great condition.

Now my question, should I remove the coins from the plastic? or better to keep it as-is?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep as is …. My vote 😄

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

Here are some images:

• Options

@bidask said:
    Keep as is …. My vote 😄

Thanks.

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2022 9:15PM

Hmmm... that appears to be Mint Set wrapping - that someone stuck in a Proof set case?

EDIT: Doing some searching online... doesn't seem like South Africa made the "Uncirculated" sets in the heat-sealed plastic that I was thinking of until 1967 (and now I remember that they are in awful PVC!). However, I've never seen a So. African PROOF set of this era sealed like this - the coins always come loose in the case (in their appropriately-sized slots).

• Options

@realeswatcher said:
    Hmmm... that appears to be Mint Set wrapping - that someone stuck in a Proof set case?

EDIT: Doing some searching online... doesn't seem like South Africa made the "Uncirculated" sets in the heat-sealed plastic that I was thinking of until 1967 (and now I remember that they are in awful PVC!). However, I've never seen a So. African PROOF set of this era sealed like this - the coins always come loose in the case (in their appropriately-sized slots).

I also did some research on the net, and yes, all sets have the coins loose, no wrapping, if someone placed the coins in this plastic, it was done right and pro, coins have been kept in great condition.

Thanks!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    Keep as is …. My vote 😄

My vote is keep it as is and then sell it to @bidask :)

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:

@bidask said:
    Keep as is …. My vote 😄

Lol I’m a coin geek 🤓

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@1984worldcoins said:
    Does not seem to be a proof set.

How can you tell or noticed that?

I went to look more in detail, the wrapping was cut with scissors on both longer sides, it is not cut with precision, not straight so someone took the time to put all the coins inside this protection and was done back then.

• Options

Just went to the net to find an uncirculated MS version of this coin, see image below:

• Options

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@bidask said:
    Keep as is …. My vote 😄

Lol I’m a coin geek 🤓

Indeed, for all the coins you have posted here. Btw, on the show I went and since you collect 8 reales, there was just two only avail that I bought: 8R 1897 FZ Zacatecas and 1888 MR Potosi in MS condition.