Home Q & A Forum
Options

Quarter with altered surfaces 2001-D or?????

tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
edited May 15, 2022 11:20AM in Q & A Forum

What’s going on with the surface of this coin? And why is it not clad, the rim looks all silvery colored. Is it a cast copy? Salt water damaged? Electrocuted? Screwed with? Bead blasted? It weighs 5.64 grams.

Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad plating job after it left the mint. Plated state quarters were common novelty items when they first came out

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 3:35PM

I just weighe a 2005 State quarter and the weight was 5.73 G. And then I weighed a plated state quarter and it was 5.99 G. If this quarter that you have is plated it's been in circulation for a long time and I'm not sure if it can lose this much weight for just being in circulation for 18 years, but anything is possible I don't think it's a plated quarter, just a well circulated quarter that's had a rough life and that's where the loss of weight possible is from.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plating thicknesses can vary due to to the process. I'm sure there were multiple manufacturers of plated coins, and it wouldn't be surprising if the thicknesses and weights varied. So your 5.99 gm coin may not be comparable to the OPs

Member of the ANA since 1982