Home Sports Talk
Options

Had an MRI Friday

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a very claustrophobic person (got stuck in an elevator once), I wasn't looking forward to this procedure. Not to mention it was Friday the 13th to boot. It was an "open MRI", meaning open on both ends, which made things a bit better, a closed MRI, not so much. I have to say, the whole thing wasn't bad at all, it was noisy noisy, loud knock, knock sounds and at one point it sounded like a machine gun fight. They gave me some headphones to wear and asked what kind of music I might like to listen to, so I asked for 70s anything. No way can you hear the music, sounded like the MRI unit was gonna fall apart and second.

Lucky for me, I guess, mine was not a "contrast" MRI where they inject you with a dye to show your veins better. I had just 20 minutes to endure, which past fairly quickly. I asked for a small cloth to cover my eyes, which, IMO is the trick to the whole process, you really don't want to see how close you are on the "inside". I peeked once, I'd say about a foot, or less, from my nose, if that. So, if you have an MRI coming up, just lay there and try to relax and let the crazy noise machine do its thing. Think happy thoughts, you're surely not gonna fall asleep, and then you'll hear those lovely words..."we're finished".

All in all, other than the anticipation and waiting for them to call you, it was no big deal.

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2022 7:45AM

Hope everything turns out o.k. for you. I'm claustrophobic too. Very. And yea, like you said ,"......Other than the anticipation and waiting .....it was no big deal"......About the "noisy noisy".....when I went through the MRI, I was all doped up on morphine and codine, etc. 😵 I honestly thought all that noise was a persons voice talking to me repeating over and over the same gibberish... After they pulled me out, I asked the assistants, what was the message that the voice was trying to tell me? They just smiled......Hey, good luck friend.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

I wish you good luck on the results. I hate those things too.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you the best! Thank you for sharing your story.

I had one MRI. I'm a pretty large guy. He had trouble getting me in to the machine. I guess athletic departments have a wider one. He has to use something like a shoehorn to get me in. The noise sounded like sone crazy dance music. I was wedged in like a sardine, and told myself that if I ever do it again I'm demanding the ones the NFL teams use. Lol

• Options
    edited May 15, 2022 10:00AM

@thisistheshow said:

I had one MRI........He had trouble getting me in to the machine.

Same here. When they were trying to get me into that tube, one of my knees wouldn't straighten out. Too painful. So they took me back to my bed. Then the doctor came in and told me that I had to get it done NOW before the morphine wore off.....The doctor just thought I was making excuses because I'm claustrophobic. So, back I went. There were straps on the table, so I told the assistants to just strap me down and straighten out my knee no matter what it takes! They did......OMG!!....AAAHhhh!!!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope everything is ok buddy, I've certainly had my fair share of scans over the years, so I know what you mean. I had a brutal gallbladder infection and had my gallbladder removed about a year and a half ago, they put to to sleep for that one, I did not like being put to sleep. And they charged me a fortune for it, when I got the bill in the mail, it hurt worse than the pain from gallbladder infection! Anyway, I hope everything is ok buddy, stay strong.

• Options
    edited May 15, 2022 11:29AM

And they charged me a fortune for it, when I got the bill in the mail, it hurt worse than the pain from gallbladder infection!

Tell me about it....Two years ago, I had terrible headaches. Never had any before....EVER.....All because my doctor prescribed the wrong pills. The pills were the cause! So,..I told him that I was going to Lake Tahoe for a week..He told me that if I got really bad headaches on the trip to go get a brain scan IMMEDIATELY.... I did so I did.....The bill from the hospital in Lake Tahoe was for over $7,000!!!!......I was at that hospital for like one hour. My insurance and Medicare paid for it....I paid under $100.....Actually, YOU paid for it. Taxpayers!..... It's all a scam.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

And they charged me a fortune for it, when I got the bill in the mail, it hurt worse than the pain from gallbladder infection!

Tell me about it....Two years ago, I had terrible headaches. Never had any before....EVER.....All because my doctor prescribed the wrong pills. The pills were the cause! So,..I told him that I was going to Lake Tahoe for a week..He told me that if I got really bad headaches on the trip to go get a brain scan IMMEDIATELY.... I did so I did.....The bill from the hospital in Lake Tahoe was for over $7,000!!!!......I was at that hospital for like one hour. My insurance and Medicare paid for it....I paid under $100.....Actually, YOU paid for it. Taxpayers!..... It's all a scam.

The actual scam goes deeper than that. But I won't go there. Let me just say, everyone gets their money, sometimes twice if you possibly know what I mean

• Options

AND......when I got to that hospital, they made me sit outside in the rain because of Covid. They didn't want to treat me. They wanted to know if I had been around a lot of people. The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant told them that we live on a secluded ranch and since Covid, we were basically hermits. So, they let me in. What a joke. People deserve better.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

The actual scam goes deeper than that. But I won't go there. Let me just say, everyone gets their money, sometimes twice if you possibly know what I mean

I know exactly what you mean. And I also know who the "everyones" are who get their money twice.......Yea, it goes deep...real deep.

• Options

When I had my gallbladder infection, I got to the hospital, and the pain was so bad, my whole right side was in agony, I couldn't even stand up and the hospital staff took their sweet time and stood around chatting, while I laid there on a little bench like a dog for 45 minutes, waiting for them help me to a room. Once I got into the room, I was there for at least an hour before a doctor came prancing in with his little clip board and stethoscope around his neck, meanwhile the right side of my body felt like a damn alien was trying to bust loose from inside me. Finally they get me to the machine to be scanned, and there was hardly any room in there, they laid me on the little thing and slid me inside like a pizza going into an oven, and I remember the crazy noises it made, and I could hardly hear the doctor's instructions because of the noises., and there was no room in that thing at all, I just wanted to get out.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck with good results, the claustrophobic feeling is awful I’m sure.

• Options
    edited May 15, 2022 12:39PM

My issue is lower back pain that I just woke up with about 6 months ago. I have a bit of difficulty walking, in the sense that its a bit painful. So, it was necessary according to my neuro surgeon's PA that I have the MRI. They gave me two tabs of Diazepam, 10mg to make me kinda not care what was going on. I decided against the tabs, you just gotta get your head into what the purpose of it is and just go cold turkey. Make no mistake, that is one crazy, crazy noisy thing, especially the machine gun sounds. If you're a big dude, that cylinder wall is seriously close to your face and if that's the case, I would recommend sedation, especially if its a contrast procedure, as in IV deal, which extends the length of time.

The key is not to look and keep a towel or wash cloth over your eyes and think happy thoughts.

Tks for the good wishes, one of 3 things is gonna happen, meds, shots or surgery. We'll see.

• Options

We wish you the best buddy, and remember, keep an eye on your valuables, those nurses are jealous of how much money doctors make and things can get "lost" around there.

• Options
    edited May 15, 2022 1:53PM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    My issue is lower back pain that I just woke up with about 6 months ago.

Yes, that was my issue when I got the first MRI.......I thought there was nothing worse in the World.......First time I ever had a medical problem. The pain!.....I was in self pity mode......But then....I sat awake every night all night watching TV and those commercials would come on about donating money to children's hospitals. I felt like a jerk. Man, I thought I would take all of those kids pain and put it on me if I could. My suffering was nothing compared to that.......So, I started donating to the Danny Thomas hospital for kids in Memphis, Tenn. It's not much but it's something.......Not a bad thing to do.....think about it. 😪 👨‍👩‍👧

• Options

This is a good thread. 🙏❤️

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I give to St. Jude's also. All you have to imagine what if it were my child.

I have had 4 MRI's. Recently I Found out what I already knew. My left shoulder rotator cuff is torn. I am self-employed so I can't take time off. Surgery will have to wait until December. The secret to an MRI is close your eyes start to finish. Think of something repetitive such as count to ten over and over.
    Not that it's any fun.

Good luck.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope the news is good.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2022 9:57AM

@jay0791 said:
    I give to St. Jude's also. All you have to imagine what if it were my child.

I have had 4 MRI's. Recently I Found out what I already knew. My left shoulder rotator cuff is torn.

Get that thing fixed! Do it. The rotator cuff in my right shoulder is a mess. Result of a dirty blind side hit by two jerks who intentionally did it. I got knocked out cold and woke up in the hospital. I never ever knew what happened until some time later when a teammate of those creeps told me about it. Don't remember a thing about how it happened. Anyway, I was a dumb kid and just played with the pain forever afterwards because I just didn't want to miss a game. Stupid.....the dull ache never goes away. It's chronic and I toss and turn in bed every night because of it. Never a good nights sleep.......Get it fixed!

P.S. I think this is the reason why I sympathize with Carson Wentz. Been there done that. Football is a great game to watch and play. But don't kid yourself...... some of those players are psychos who like to hurt people.

In the top photo, Ram #26 is going low for Carson's knee while #97 comes in from behind to shove him into it. Both defenders end up on Wentzs knees. AND....In the bottom photo it looks to me like #97 is focused on the knees and giving them a little extra kick for good measure. Neither of those Rams are trying to TACKLE Wentz. Theyre trying to injure him. It's obvious!. That was the plan......What happened to me was the same thing..... One guy went for my knee from the side while the other guy slammed my shoulder from behind. High and low. Front and back. I flipped over and landed on my head.....out cold......At least that's what I was told happened. Sick.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had a few MRIs in my life because of my back and knees. The first time I had one the noise was the one thing I was not prepared for. I could not believe how loud it was. I ended up falling asleep anyway and that's what I've done for most of my MRIs - get comfortable and go to sleep.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2022 2:08PM

Hey, Tabe........ in my life because of my back and knees...... that's what I've done too..... get comfortable and go to sleep.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully you got good results from your MRI.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    My issue is lower back pain that I just woke up with about 6 months ago. I have a bit of difficulty walking, in the sense that its a bit painful. So, it was necessary according to my neuro surgeon's PA that I have the MRI. They gave me two tabs of Diazepam, 10mg to make me kinda not care what was going on. I decided against the tabs, you just gotta get your head into what the purpose of it is and just go cold turkey. Make no mistake, that is one crazy, crazy noisy thing, especially the machine gun sounds. If you're a big dude, that cylinder wall is seriously close to your face and if that's the case, I would recommend sedation, especially if its a contrast procedure, as in IV deal, which extends the length of time.

The key is not to look and keep a towel or wash cloth over your eyes and think happy thoughts.

Tks for the good wishes, one of 3 things is gonna happen, meds, shots or surgery. We'll see.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

Hopefully you got good results from your MRI.

I've been diagnosed with some stenosis in my L3-L4 area. Stenosis as I understand it is a closing of the spinal cord in an area causing nerves to become impacted to some degree, thus my discomfort. I am a very, very long way from any surgery, and expect a shot or series of shots will hopefully medicate the situation. I'll be in physical therapy to hopefully find some relief.

I'm most concerned about my 12-day cruise in early September to the Greek Islands. I may be limited in what I can and can't do. Santorini being the most interesting island to us, has found me hiring a private driver for a full day tour of the island. Yup, its pricey, but I doubt we'll be going back, and my cruise package is too good to cancel.

Tks for asking!
    Al

• Options
    edited June 3, 2022 3:58PM

Sending PM.