Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone notice the explosion in 1954 Bowman Baseball according to PSA price?

Any reason for this? Cards on Ebay haven't caught up yet.

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed the Mays gong bonkers the last few years. Have not really followed the rest as he is the one on my want list - has everything moved up or just the big 3 (Mays, Mantle, Williams)?

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2022 3:44PM

I just completed this set a month ago. 1/3 PSA 8 with a few 9's and the rest 7's. IMHO, this set has been undervalued and underappreciated for a long time. I am responsible for one of the latest Mantle 7s going for $5,000+. Last card I needed. Could have bought all I wanted in the low $2,000's pre-covid but got picky and was forced to pay up.

That said, PSA's "auction prices" are missing most ebay auctions results these days. Someone has dropped the ball there and I feel it is almost useless now for tracking recent price trends. I can go to ebay recent sold listings for any particular card and see that most of them have not been reported by PSA.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    I just completed this set a month ago. 1/3 PSA 8 with a few 9's and the rest 7's. IMHO, this set has been undervalued and underappreciated for a long time. I am responsible for one of the latest Mantle 7s going for $5,000+. Last card I needed. Could have bought all I wanted in the low $2,000's pre-covid but got picky and was forced to pay up.

That said, PSA's "auction prices" are missing most ebay auctions results these days. Someone has dropped the ball there and I feel it is almost useless now for tracking recent price trends. I can go to ebay recent sold listings for any particular card and see that most of them have not been reported by PSA.

Assuming, of course, that eBay is willing to license its IP to PSA, ad at a reasonable rate.

• Options
    PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I collect 54 Bowmans in PSA 9 and you are correct in their price ascension this past year. You might be reacting to the current Memory Lane auction in which a partial high grade 1954 Bowman set is listed and the bidding is hot and heavy. In the past, this year Bowman set has been somewhat ignored by collectors but apparently not anymore.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an incomplete set in PSA 7 (only need the big 3 cards Mays, Mantle and Williams) which I gave up on years ago. I regret not trying to buy those 3 cards then because now is impossible.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know this set well, but are these paintings or pictures ? Appears the Duke has a blue hat and green shirt lettering and under shirt. Was it Dodger blue and green back then. ?

• Options
    theumptheump Posts: 634 ✭✭

@brad31 said:
    I have noticed the Mays gong bonkers the last few years. Have not really followed the rest as he is the one on my want list - has everything moved up or just the big 3 (Mays, Mantle, Williams)?

Everything has moved up in all grades.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:
    I don’t know this set well, but are these paintings or pictures ? Appears the Duke has a blue hat and green shirt lettering and under shirt. Was it Dodger blue and green back then. ?

Here is what I found:

"In its 1953 set, the Bowman card fronts had featured beautiful full-color portraits of its players for the majority of its cards (the final 64 cards had featured black-and-white photos). The result was a set that would be prized by collectors in the years to come… but one which was outsold in the marketplace by Topps in 1953. To save money in 1954, Bowman opted for a cheaper method of photography on its card fronts… basically black-and-white photos that were colored over."

I really like the painted look of this set. Currently working on a mid-grade Cubs set.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 8:52AM

Just looked up Feller and some others in an 8. Seems like still going for close to what they always have. I think this set is underpriced. Have a good selection of HOFers about half 8s and half 8.5s some PSA and some SGC). My Feller is a PSA 8.5. This set is a really good way to get affordable 1950s HOFers in a set where the card size is still larger. Looks to me like this is still the case.

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

How long does it take to show in the PSA SAles? Sold one in March that doesn’t appear.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

As I said previously, the vast majority of ebay sales haven't show up in a long time.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports