Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A nice NEWP and a cool story....

AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

I wanted to share this NEWP and a story…..

We don't often get to know much history behind the coins we have, but we get an opportunity to learn more of their history every once in a while. I was very fortunate to get this coin from my friend @asheland recently. He purchased this coin raw from an old couple native to the mountains of North Carolina, and we suspect that the couple may have had the coin for decades. The coin was recently submitted to PCGS and returned as VF30. It probably has not seen the light of day for a long time and likely has never been to CAC.

I love this coin's old skin and luster; it tells a story of trade at the turn of the century. Accounting for inflation, in 1900, this coin could have been used to buy a men's dress shirt, a pound of coffee, movie tickets for the entire family, a Kodak Brownie camera, a Lady's hat, 7 1/2 pounds of steak, a case of Coca-Cola, or a gallon of milk.

It certainly made its rounds, and I really like this coin. Maybe you have a coin that carries "the skin of trade" and a similar story……

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am surprised you stated, " It probably has not seen the light of day for a long time and likely has never been to CAC."
    As you know the history- wouldn't it be more accurate to state it has never been to CAC?

Neat story and an excellent coin as finding these so original are as difficult as hens' teeth.

peacockcoins

• Options
    AvocetAvocet Posts: 226 ✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I am surprised you stated, " It probably has not seen the light of day for a long time and likely has never been to CAC."
    As you know the history- wouldn't it be more accurate to state it has never been to CAC?

Neat story and an excellent coin as finding these so original are as difficult as hens' teeth.

Funny you mention that -- when I first wrote the story, I stated "never been to CAC" -- after I wrote that, I suspected someone might suggest that it is possible that the coin was once slabbed and then broken out-- but we highly doubt it.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool piece of history!
    We too often forget about the history behind our little metal pieces while trying to outdo each other in grade.

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool and Ashland is good to work with

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The skin of trade.."
    I like this phrase and pursue these type of coins exclusively these days.
    👍

• Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Great date, excellent appearing circulated example. I waffled between 30 and 35, and decided on 35 before reading your post on the grade. I’ll get one of those some day, but enjoy yours for the time being.👍

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m glad you got that one, it really is an excellent coin!

Great thread, too. 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file