Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1989-90 Fleer Basketball box rip

jkpilotjkpilot Posts: 33

Hey guys just ripped 2 boxes of 89-90 basketball and it was a blast. I do have a couple of questions for the experts here especially w this year. I was able to pull 7 Jordan bases and 5 stickers, does it seem about right to you? From what ive seen from other rips on youtube it seems in line usually 6 or 7 Jordans is a box. Actually, my biggest question is about the quality of the cards. I would say 90% of the cards are off center and also especially w this year the left side of the cards are cut sooo poorly (frayed/rough looking) , is this normal? Both boxes had this issue w lots of the cards. If a card is otherwise Mint w excellent centering/sharp corners/surface good but has that frayed cut poor syndrome is it still worth getting sent for grading? I have tons of otherwise perfect cards w this issue. Ill post an example pic I took. If any experts could chime in it would be great. I am a newbie to grading but not collecting.

Comments

• Options
    jkpilotjkpilot Posts: 33
    edited May 14, 2022 2:44AM
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

Unless you can grade them for a few bucks each (time machine!) as you can't get a 10 on that, and nothing in that set is worth over $30 in a 9 except for Jordan, so makes no economic sense unless for PC. The cut is not normal for the issue in the sense that there are more normal cards out there, but the cut like that does happen.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

Unless you can grade them for a few bucks each (time machine!) as you can't get a 10 on that, and nothing in that set is worth over $30 in a 9 except for Jordan, so makes no economic sense unless for PC. The cut is not normal for the issue in the sense that there are more normal cards out there, but the cut like that does happen.

Yea agreed, you need to shoot for 10s or forget about submitting any of them besides Jordan.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of collectors like a rough cut because it looks factory or pack fresh. Some prefer the smooth cut all around, but you can still get 10’s with a rough cut if otherwise perfect.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

@Bosox1976 said:
    Lots of collectors like a rough cut because it looks factory or pack fresh. Some prefer the smooth cut all around, but you can still get 10’s with a rough cut if otherwise perfect.

wow thats interesting info. I guess i might sumbit a rough cut '10' Bird or Magic and see what PSA gives it.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

The rough cut versions must be from the Canadian factory ;)

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufussCkingston said:

Blades got dull in the U.S.A. too.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

is this just a joke or was there a canadian factory? All cards say printed in USA?

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also check for back chipping. And spider wrinkles. Also lots of PD.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jkpilot said:

@RufussCkingston said:

is this just a joke or was there a canadian factory? All cards say printed in USA?

they are talking about the notorious rough edges of o pee chee cards printed in canada in the 60s-early 90s

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@jkpilot said:

@RufussCkingston said:

they are talking about the notorious rough edges of o pee chee cards printed in canada in the 60s-early 90s

1990 Fleer BB has a Canadian version, so this is not too far off-base.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.