Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Another Mechanical Error?

PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least the seller is forthright about this eBay card’s flaws. But either the top edge or the vertical centering alone should disqualify this card from a 9.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275307833553?hash=item4019a028d1:g:EYQAAOSwmOBie6kn

Comments

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

The following possibilities exist:

1: Mech error on the grade portion of the label (happens frequently)

2: Overly lenient grading

3: Card damaged after being sealed in holder or during holdering process but after grade was assigned

4: Fraud/fake holder

My guess is that this particular example is 100% another example of mech error on the grade portion of the label.

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:
    The following possibilities exist:

1: Mech error on the grade portion of the label (happens frequently)

2: Overly lenient grading

3: Card damaged after being sealed in holder or during holdering process but after grade was assigned

4: Fraud/fake holder

My guess is that this particular example is 100% another example of mech error on the grade portion of the label.

My gut tells me #4 -- (real slab, real label, but do they go together???)

PSA should have been taking pictures of graded cards long ago -- then we could verify the card (with pictures) against what they have on file for that label. The new eBay Authenticity of slabbed cards will help PSA backfill all of their cards that they do not have a current picture of.

Wish we had some pictures of this slab without the plastic sleeve. I messed with the picture sharpness/contrast, and something looks like a hairline break along the top of the label. But not sure if it's somehow an illusion with that plastic sleeve over the card.

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought they glued the new labels in the new cases so they can’t be pulled out. I’m probably wrong but I thought they did.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would imagine if someone were going to create #4 they would use a PSA 8 so that it would look like it could plausibly be a 9.