Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Need the centering experts to opine

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

I reached out to Paulmaul via pm but would like others opinions too. I just purchased 10 cards that are a little better centered than this.

My question is this. Is this Bobby Orr card still a PSA 9 under todays standards ? Or the question could be does it get a PSA 8 seven times out of ten ?

Here are my cards. Paulmaul felt they could all fall under PSA 8 guidelines. If you disagree, because I felt some could be a 7, please tell me how many. Thanks

Comments

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2022 9:17AM

The grading standards have not changed but the way they administer them have. I think that Orr gets an 8 today. Not sure how many times out of 10 - but I would guess a 7 1/10, an 8 8/10 and a 9 1/10. With the registration, color and corners it is a beautiful card. Agree the Cups look like 8s to me.

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my opinions
    The Orr probably shouldn't be a 9 now, centering one way (L-R or T-B) is one thing but this is both (but it is a beautiful card with nice color and registration, plus no hickey [print spot]).
    The Stanley Cups (which is one of my favorites) all look off-center to the left, not likely any 9s, depending on other condition criteria (corners, edges, and even the backs) they could/should be 8's
    I would love to have any of them

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@clarke442 said:
    Just my opinions
    The Orr probably shouldn't be a 9 now, centering one way (L-R or T-B) is one thing but this is both (but it is a beautiful card with nice color and registration, plus no hickey [print spot]).
    The Stanley Cups (which is one of my favorites) all look off-center to the left, not likely any 9s, depending on other condition criteria (corners, edges, and even the backs) they could/should be 8's
    I would love to have any of them

I think you guys are right. Here is an 8 and I think I’m close enough. Clarke442- unfortunately I’ve got plans for this batch- but yes- it is a favorite of mine as well.

That looks familiar
    :D

@Goldenage said:

unfortunately I’ve got plans for this batch-

More autographs I am guessing.

@clarke442 said:
    That looks familiar
    :D

Is it yours ?

@clarke442 said:

@Goldenage said:

unfortunately I’ve got plans for this batch-

More autographs I am guessing.

Yeah. I need some good traders for the future. So I’m going to do 5 with Orr on top and Cheevers below, and 5 with just Bobby. The 5 with just Bobby I’m going to just put away and hope Gretzky will one day break from upper deck exclusive and do a private, but I’m 57 and may not live to see that day. The only way to get Gretzky is see him somewhere, but then the auto is usually sloppy at best.

Yes, that one is mine. According to my notes, I got that from PWCC in April of 2020 for $41.
    Nice idea with Orr and Cheevers.
    Now you have thinking I should get Johnny Bucyk to sign one for my PC.
    Good Luck!

edited May 10, 2022 9:49AM

@clarke442 said:
    Yes, that one is mine. According to my notes, I got that from PWCC in April of 2020 for $41.
    Nice idea with Orr and Cheevers.
    Now you have thinking I should get Johnny Bucyk to sign one for my PC.
    Good Luck!

If you want Bucyk then email this guy to put you on his mailing list. He does shows in Massachusetts.

cardboardpromotions@gmail.com

Also Facebook hockeyprivatesignings group. Lots of good stuff there as well.

I’ve got this coming to me soon. So tough to get this guy. So happy this is on its way.