Home Q & A Forum
Options

What's up with this Jefferson nickel?

JWPJWP Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this nickel when I was CRH this afternoon. A normal nickel weighs 5 grams and this nickel weighs 4.7 grams the reverse looks totally normal. The obverse just shows a shadow of Jefferson. I put it under a 500x to 1000x microscope and I cannot identify any of the legends, date, or mint mark. I cannot see how this could be caused by PMD or a die that had grease on it. Any one who has any idea or has seen one like this your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Best Answers

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Struck through a capped die

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I would say that's a great find @JWP !!

https://www.error-ref.com/obversediecap/

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Oldhoopster said:

First time I have ever found this type of error. Does it have any value? I was CRH through of box of nickels I got from my credit union today, and was supervised and bewildered at this nickel find. No matter what the value it has /doesn't have, It's a keeper for me. Just wish it had a readable date. Thanks for your knowledge and explanation. Jon

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Answers

• Options
    MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

@Oldhoopster said:

First time I have ever found this type of error. Does it have any value? I was CRH through of box of nickels I got from my credit union today, and was supervised and bewildered at this nickel find. No matter what the value it has /doesn't have, It's a keeper for me. Just wish it had a readable date. Thanks for your knowledge and explanation. Jon

That’s a pretty noticeable error so I would guess it does have value.

In my experience usually the errors of little value are the ones barely noticeable even under magnification.

Yours could be identified as an error with the naked eye even if it was someone with zero coin knowledge and the person was drunk lol.

Congrats on your find! I can absolutely imagine someone paying at least $20-$30 for that. They might want it slabbed though idk.

Just my opinion! Congrats again!

• Options
    MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    I found this nickel when I was CRH this afternoon. A normal nickel weighs 5 grams and this nickel weighs 4.7 grams the reverse looks totally normal. The obverse just shows a shadow of Jefferson. I put it under a 500x to 1000x microscope and I cannot identify any of the legends, date, or mint mark. I cannot see how this could be caused by PMD or a die that had grease on it. Any one who has any idea or has seen one like this your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time

Is there any way you could use die marks to determine the date?

Like how they determine varieties?