Home Sports Talk
Options

Novak Djokovic sets new record of 369 weeks as World #1

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tennis star Novak Djokovic etched his name in the history books on Tuesday with a win over Gael Monfils at the Madrid Open. With the victory, Djokovic clinched his record-setting 369th week as the world's No. 1 ranked player.

Djokovic defeated Monfils 6-3, 6-2, marking his 18th victory over Monfils during his professional career. The Serbian tennis star also became the first man to hold an 18-0 record against one opponent in the modern era with the win.

If Djokovic would've lost, Daniil Medvedev would've overtaken Djokovic for the No. 1 spot. That would've ended the Serbian's long streak as the No. 1 player in the world.

https://tennisuptodate.com/atp/novak-djokovic-sets-new-record-of-369-weeks-as-world-no1?fbclid=IwAR1IxHIk1zjflJGpwN2BEBBRj7--YOx3KrGX9B7MqkMT3u84-ea5ZVJvBRI

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a long streak. Who held the record before, and before that? (I know Google is a thing, but humor me...). 😂

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    That is a long streak. Who held the record before, and before that? (I know Google is a thing, but humor me...). 😂

Sampras held the record before Novak.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

7 years? Dang did not know that, even with the Aussie ban, insane.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Total time. Not consecutive

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    7 years? Dang did not know that, even with the Aussie ban, insane.

He hasn't played a whole lot this year because of the mandates. The U.S. wont let him in the country. Thankfully, he can play all the European tourneys, so he will be allowed to play the French Open and Wimbledon. He's going for his 7th Wimbledon title and 4th in a row. The French Open starts in less than two weeks.

Ignore list -Basebal21