Home Sports Talk
Options

The collapse and total implosion of the Red Sox, now in LAST PLACE

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 8, 2022 6:23AM in Sports Talk

I have been taking a hiatus from posting, other than my comment under the Phil Mickelson post. This is my first post in some time about the Red Sox...

As a long time fan of the Red Sox, its become too painful to watch game after game of inept play, GROSS LACK of key hits in RISP situations. The newly contracted second baseman, one Trevor Story, who signed for $140 million for 6 years, has turned out to be a DISMAL FAILURE. While averaging 26 home runs in 6 seasons with the Rockies, he has failed to hit one so far, and is batting a paltry .202. TWO 0 TWO!!

It appears the Yankees were wise to not sign this over-hyped, under-performing dud. $140,000,000/6/162*28 games = $4,032,921 paid so far to Story. Stunning to think this incredible sum has yielded 18 hits, 7 doubles out of 89 at bats.

There is much more to write, but its depressing, as the team is now in last place, even lower than the Orioles. Sadly for them, they have to look at the score board on the green monster that shows the stats of the teams in their Division. The view says "9.5 back and last place". Clearly this team has found the iceberg and the ship is sinking.

While I'm at it, Kevin Youkilis is not the announcer I care to listen to during a baseball broadcast. He's like eating dry, cold toast at the beach on a scorching hot day. Whoever hired him was an idiot. Thank goodness they have Eckersley and O'Brien, who know the game. Not likely I'll watch many more games, although I did "give in" and got the baseball package via Prime, I can watch other games. With Prime the screen just goes to "commercial announcement in progress"...thank God I don't have to endure the pillow guy during breaks!!

PS, To Steve in ABQ...I looked up tix to the bleachers. The worst section is section 38, dead center, $40 each, upper section 38 has a generous reduction to $36. Like you, I remember $1.00 tix and you got to see the titans of the game as you described. Other seats closer to the field and along the baselines are simply obscene.

ENJOY YOUR MOMS!!!

Comments

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭

Eck has not been there for many games this year which has been a big mistake as he is the voice of the Red Sox now and he calls them as he sees them.
    I will not even comment on the poor play this year but will say they have no bullpen at all and their hitting is non-existent.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Story is horrible so far, I was at a buddy’s house a few weeks ago when he caused an error with his throw on a routine grounder then next batter hits a GW HR this was against the Rays

• Options

Sad update...

Bottom of the 9th today, Red Sox down 2-1. They get a double, no outs...out #1, out #2, and out #3. PATHETIC

• Options

For those of Red Sox Nation, yet another sad (so far) story of Red Sox management dumping a ton on an apparent loser. He will quickly join the ranks of El Sapo Gordo, aka Sandoval in the long list of stupid decisions and wasting money. Of course those who make these decisions just keep rolling along...Bloom, aka I Have No Clue.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/red-sox-have-no-one-but-themselves-to-blame-for-trevor-story/ar-AAX4VS2?cvid=f06dcc3ac0514f61bea55d2b3d25f70d

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    For those of Red Sox Nation, yet another sad (so far) story of Red Sox management dumping a ton on an apparent loser. He will quickly join the ranks of El Sapo Gordo, aka Sandoval in the long list of stupid decisions and wasting money. Of course those who make these decisions just keep rolling along...Bloom, aka I Have No Clue.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/red-sox-have-no-one-but-themselves-to-blame-for-trevor-story/ar-AAX4VS2?cvid=f06dcc3ac0514f61bea55d2b3d25f70d

Didn't anyone think that signing a very good (but not great) defensive shortstop who was likely coming off an injury (certainly the worst year of his career) to play second base where he had never played a big league inning on 23 March might not have been a great idea?

If last year was a sign of his decline, then Story will have gotten an awful lot of money for nothing. If it's just adjustment, Story will be fine. In the meantime, Cora is doing himself no favors with Bogaerts at short and Devers at third.

• Options

Hey they have won one in a row!
    Is that considered a winning streak?

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

A win is considered both the end of a losing streak and the potential start of a winning streak. Hopefully they'll string a few together. But in this particular case, I think we can call it a one game win streak.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

how about a win and a day off, would that be like a 2 game win streak?

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

Tie game, 9th inning, bases loaded, count 3-2...umpire's brain freezes and calls an obvious ball, a strike. Bottom 9th, yup, a walk off homer. Red Sox can't catch a break, and are now comfortably in last place by 11.5 games, shockingly, 2 games behind the Orioles. Looks like a very, very long season ahead.

• Options

@daltex said:
    Didn't anyone think that signing a very good (but not great) defensive shortstop who was likely coming off an injury (certainly the worst year of his career) to play second base where he had never played a big league inning on 23 March might not have been a great idea?

If last year was a sign of his decline, then Story will have gotten an awful lot of money for nothing. If it's just adjustment, Story will be fine. In the meantime, Cora is doing himself no favors with Bogaerts at short and Devers at third.

I think Story has been shown to be a dismal failure. His obscene contract of $140m/6 yrs has generated one home run and a pitiful handful of hits, batting .206.
    Not sure I got the Bogaerts/Devers comment. IMO, Bogearts is gone as hes a FA at the end of this season. Devers, OTOH is contracted to 2024. I read where the Red Sox offered Devers $200m, he wants $300m...I say let him go, or trade him for an up and coming 3rd baseman.
    The Red Sox management have a penchant for paying huge for little ROI, Sandoval, Price and a littany of others litter the history of Red Sox signings. I'm sure there's much more to the $ angle in terms of rules, taxes, etc, etc. But, I think they plowed a ton into an apparent dud with Story.

Time will tell, but they have a deep hole to dig out of, and not sure they have the team with which to do it.

• Options

Baseball needs to get rid of the home plate umpire calling balls and strikes as they just miss too many calls.
    It its a hard job to get every call right and this one cost the Red Sox a ball game which they could not afford to lose.
    I agree the Sox need to start making trades for the future if they don't want to start losing them when they are in line for free agency.
    Bogaerts and. Devers will sign $300 to $450 million contracts somewhere and not with the sox.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@daltex said:

I think Story has been shown to be a dismal failure. His obscene contract of $140m/6 yrs has generated one home run and a pitiful handful of hits, batting .206.
    Not sure I got the Bogaerts/Devers comment. IMO, Bogearts is gone as hes a FA at the end of this season. Devers, OTOH is contracted to 2024. I read where the Red Sox offered Devers $200m, he wants $300m...I say let him go, or trade him for an up and coming 3rd baseman.
    The Red Sox management have a penchant for paying huge for little ROI, Sandoval, Price and a littany of others litter the history of Red Sox signings. I'm sure there's much more to the $ angle in terms of rules, taxes, etc, etc. But, I think they plowed a ton into an apparent dud with Story.

Time will tell, but they have a deep hole to dig out of, and not sure they have the team with which to do it.

Sorry. Bogaerts is a bad shortstop. Devers is a terrible third baseman. Story has never played second before. If Cora were minimally competent he'd have Story at short and find out if Bogaerts can play second or third and if Devers can play first. Surely Dalbec hasn't shown that he belongs in the big leagues.

There is a vast variety of reasons why it is too soon to rule Story out.

Ultimately the situation with Devers and Bogaerts is the same as it was with Betts. If they aren't going to make a serious effort to sign them long term, they should trade them for what they can get, and soon.

• Options

I agree!
    Bogaerts makes a lot of errors at short and will not re-sign.
    Get what you can for them,
    I disagree about Devers though as he has improved at 3rd base but he will not re-sign with the sox.
    Dalbec is great 1st baseman but can not hit.
    Trade deadline will be here before we know it.

• Options

Three wins of the last 4 games is sure an improvement.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Three wins of the last 4 games is sure an improvement.

3 out of 4 is good!

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 287 ✭✭✭✭

Don’t worry Sox fans the M’s are coming to town for a 4 game set at Fenway I am sure Boston will take 3out of 4

• Options

It's time for the Red Sox to start weeding out some of relief pitchers that completely suck.

• Options

Great game last night for those of us that could stay up late to finish it. Story and Bogearts came through great and Bogaerts seams to be saying that he wants to stay in Boston now. If the Sox can work a deal with him I think Deveres will not be far behind.

• Options

Last night was a great game too...for the Astros.

• Options

I'll take 2 0ut of 3 from the Astros anytime. No bullpen needed tonight thanks to a rare complete game.

• Options

And now with Story's three home run night will people admit that it was too early to completely condemn his signing?

• Options

I have been more concerned about the bullpen than about Story,s hitting. He did not have a spring training to work himself into shape.

GO SOX !

• Options
    edited May 20, 2022 6:40AM

Story had a monster night, and only this week he appears to have come out of the paltry hitting coma he's been in. I still think he was not living up to his pay level. One week, or one game does not make a season, nor suddenly elevate him to saint status among Red Sox players. He had about 6 miserable weeks of almost no production. He's paid to perform, last night he performed exceptionally well, but, not many comments made about his previous 6 weeks.

As for his spring training...wasn't he at Fort Myers for those games? How could he not have "worked himself into shape" during that time. How about the off season, like October, November, December, January, and February?? I would think professional athletes at the level Story is playing would continue to stay in shape during these off season months in order to ensure an easy transition into full time playing again. Surely you don't think he was just hanging out on Bondi beach in Australia all those months.

So, Story had a moment, we'll see if he can continue to earn his paycheck. Yup, the bullpen is dismal, might be the reason for the complete game, maybe Cora has little to no faith on those who ride the pine in the outfield.

The team is barely out of the cellar, but still some 12 games back, lots of work to do, LOTS.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not all that worried about Story. It is very very common for new free agents to come in and struggle for even half a season as they are pressing to prove that they are "worth" the paycheck.

Sale is one we will never get the "money's worth" out of. it sure would be nice to have him back and healthy though. a true number one can change the culture of a team.

we were spoiled for a very long time with Clemens and Pedro. It is a lot easier to avoid prolonged losing streaks when you have that horse every 4 or 5 days.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

we were spoiled for a very long time with Clemens and Pedro.

These two were the best

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

we were spoiled for a very long time with Clemens and Pedro.

These two were the best

yes, my two favorites! can you imagine if we could have had them at the same time!! it would have been like the 2001 diamondbacks

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

There has definitely been a big improvement in the last week or so and they got rid of one of the problem relievers today. They have become watchable,

• Options

Johnny Gomes catches Story's grand slam ball in the monster seats !

• Options

Well, gotta say, they played like a winning team today. Down by 5 early, they fought back and took the win.

• Options
    edited May 22, 2022 4:33AM

Maybe my $50.00 bet on winning the World Series does not look so bad.
    Does Jordans furniture ship to Albuquerque?

• Options

The Red Sox have come a long way from last place in the last week!