Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Found another coin need help identifying

The coin is magnetic and weighs 3.1grams. Could this be fake since it is magnetic or back then maybe the melt wasn’t accurate and thus could be real?

I really don’t have much experience with ancient coins and any help will save me a lot of time researching, so thank you in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

How magnetic and what sort of magnet are you using?

This is a follis http://numismatics.org/ocre/id/ric.7.sis.7 which would be an alloy of copper and could contain some iron.

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭

I used a N52 grade magnet.

Interesting question because the magnetic attraction wasn’t very strong in comparison to other coins I have tested in the past. The magnet was strong enough to pick up the coin but the attraction was weak and the coin was very easily separated.

The coin is slightly larger than a penny.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you use one of those high-powered neodymium supermagnets, you will fairly often find ancient Roman coins, particularly Late Roman bronzes like this, can stick to it.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options

Thank you for the replies.

FYI
    I just happen to find the following site: tesorillo.com which seems really good to help figure out ancient Roman coins.
    I apologize if I write something incorrect in describing what I found. I am not familiar with ancient coin terminology:

It appears this coin is the following:
    Valrius valens
    AD 313-324
    Obverse: impcavrvalvalensgfavg
    Reverse: ALE iovicons ervatori reverse type 51 (Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and sceptre; eagle with wreath in beak to left, sometimes seated captive to right.)

Any ideas on how to figure out rarity and worth?

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

It’s Constantine I. See my link above - the legend also. It is a Jupiter reverse, from Siscia. They’re fairly common but it’s quite good condition.

• Options

Johnccnduitt: I apologize I read right over the link you sent. It must be an old age thing with me.🙂

Thank you for the link

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree its Constantine.

Coins of Valerius Valens are very rare, and many fakes are out there.