Home Sports Talk
Options

Woman finds treasure at Goodwill

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sports related, but unbelievable nevertheless, a woman found an ancient Roman bust of a Roman general at a Goodwill in Texas, it is 2,000 years old and she bought it for $34.99!

Comments

• Options

WOMAN FINDS 2,000-YEAR-OLD BUST OF ROMAN GENERAL AT A TEXAS GOODWILL FOR $34.99

AUSTIN, Texas -- Two thousand years ago in Rome an artist sculpted a marble statue of a general's head. The bust ended up in a Bavarian King's museum in Germany centuries later before disappearing during World War II. Then Laura Young found it at a Goodwill in Austin.

"The head was on the floor under a display table," said Young, who works as an antiques dealer. "It definitely looked old. It was carved marble."

Young bought the 52-pound, 19-inch-tall bust for $34.99 in 2018, sharing photos on her Instagram account of the statue strapped to her backseat with a seatbelt. Another photo showed the statue on an end table in her home wearing a mask.

After bringing it home, she began researching and discovered that the artwork was, in fact, a Julio-Claudian-era bust depicting famed Roman commander Nero Claudius Drusus Germanicus, also known as Drusus Germanicus or Drusus the Elder.

"He's probably the coolest thing I'm ever going to find," Young said. "The most special. There's a lot of history."

Friends at an auction house in London confirmed the bust was a genuine ancient relic. Another auction house confirmed to Young that the bust was in a 100-year-old catalog of a German art museum.

How the statue got to Texas is a mystery. Experts believe the bust found its way to Texas thanks to an American soldier stationed in Aschaffenburg during World War II.The statue must now be returned to its rightful owner.

"It's bittersweet because I can't sell him! I am a dealer," Young laughed. "I am trying to make a living!"

Before heading to Germany, Germanicus' bust will be displayed at the San Antonio Museum of Art for one year, starting this week.

"I'd love to know where he was before I found him," Young said. "But we might not find that out."

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2022 3:49PM

@doubledragon said:

How the statue got to Texas is a mystery. Experts believe the bust found its way to Texas thanks to an American soldier stationed in Aschaffenburg during World War II.The statue must now be returned to its rightful owner.

It's called antiquities theft.

"It's bittersweet because I can't sell him! I am a dealer," Young laughed. "I am trying to make a living!"

Bittersweet?..... Yea, I don't think the rightful owner looks at it that way.

"I'd love to know where he was before I found him," Young said. "But we might not find that out."

I doubt that she ever looks too hard......what a crock.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this article on my google home page,

Pretty interesting

• Options
    edited May 6, 2022 4:06PM

@perkdog said:

Pretty interesting

It is interesting. As a student of ancient Roman history,..... I find the most "interesting" part is why would she tell anyone that she had it?!?!.......I would have counted my lucky stars and kept my mouth shut!...... She's really not much of a "dealer."........ probably sells a lot of vintage beer cans and old coke bottles in her shop.......What a dope!

• Options

Oh goodie, I finally get to use my Indiana Jones gif!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Surprised it was not being used as a doorstop. Once on Antique Roadshow a man brought an old sword for appraisal. He said they used to use it to slice watermelon.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

Pretty interesting

It is interesting. As a student of ancient Roman history,..... I find the most "interesting" part is why would she tell anyone that she had it?!?!.......I would have counted my lucky stars and kept my mouth shut!...... She's really not much of a "dealer."........ probably sells a lot of vintage beer cans and old coke bottles in her shop.......What a dope!

Well your not selling that under the radar, unless you can find a private collector willing to pay cash and wanting everything to be kept quiet, but how would you market it?

• Options
    edited May 7, 2022 11:13AM

@perkdog said:

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

Pretty interesting

Well your not selling that under the radar, unless you can find a private collector willing to pay cash and wanting everything to be kept quiet, but how would you market it?

I wouldn't even think about trying to sell it. Unethical. Just like you say. I would just keep it and treasure it. What a find! WOW! AND,.......I would never tell the person who sold it what it really was. That would be cruel......rubbing salt in the wound.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2022 12:34PM

I wouldn't sell it either, I would put it on display outside, right beside my Aaron Rodgers birdhouse.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2022 12:57PM

@doubledragon said:
    I wouldn't sell it either, I would put it on display outside, right beside my Aaron Rodgers birdhouse.

I believe it. Because you're nuts!......When you hit pay dirt you really hit it! You make me laugh so hard.......sometimes...... Otherwise, most times I don't know what to think........ The Lovely Mrs Hydrant loves your Aaron Rodgers posts......but she's A little off kilter too! FUNNY! 😂

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@doubledragon said:

I believe it. Because you're nuts!......When you hit pay dirt you really hit it! You make me laugh so hard.......sometimes...... Otherwise, most times I don't know what to think........ The Lovely Mrs Hydrant loves your Aaron Rodgers posts......but she's A little off kilter too! FUNNY! 😂

I am glad you and the lovely Mrs. Hydrant enjoy my Aaron Rodgers posts and memes, they do bring me such joy, and I like to start everday with a good cup of Aaron Rodgers jokes!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

Pretty interesting

Rumors for years circulate that expensive stolen pieces of rare art reside in affluent basements/man caves. Purchased in/from the underground.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@perkdog said:

@Hydrant said:

@perkdog said:

Pretty interesting

Rumors for years circulate that expensive stolen pieces of rare art reside in affluent basements/man caves. Purchased in/from the underground.

This is definitely the truth.