Home Precious Metals
Options

Slightly confused

BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

I'm still trying to get my head around the outrageous premium's for silver. Today on Providents site, 5 oz. silver bars are around $5.69 over spot. 90% silver is almost $10.00 over spot. Why on earth would anyone pay double the already high premium for 90% vs Bars. ?

Past transactions with:
Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

As always it’s all about supply and demand in the physical world

there’s limited supply and limited demand

forget spot where things are unlimited

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely hard to make sense of it, based on what we have traditionally used to.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2022 9:51AM

@tincup said:
    Definitely hard to make sense of it, based on what we have traditionally used to.

Welcome to the paradigm shift in physical metal pricing

Delivery of real metal is no longer the same as delivery of paper promises

This is something that some have been predicting and something that all stackers should welcome

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@tincup said:

This is something that some have been predicting and something that all stackers should welcome

Why would we welcome sky high premiums that you dont recover when you go to sell ?

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BobSav said:
    I'm still trying to get my head around the outrageous premium's for silver. Today on Providents site, 5 oz. silver bars are around $5.69 over spot. 90% silver is almost $10.00 over spot. Why on earth would anyone pay double the already high premium for 90% vs Bars. ?

why should any actual item go down in price if its owner refuses to take less than a certain number and is not forced to sell? in most tangible things , the seller sets the price the buyer decides if a sale occurs . now the sellers may be forced to lower prices if they need cash but if they can wait a dip out thats usually what they try to do

if you want it at spot it will be the paper variety

• Options
    edited May 6, 2022 11:11AM

@BobSav said:

@derryb said:

@tincup said:

Why would we welcome sky high premiums that you dont recover when you go to sell ?

You’re assuming that premiums are going down.

They continue to go up Even in the face of falling spot. there is no indication that premiums are coming down anytime soon

Anyone not recovering more than their premium paid is selling too low

Smart Buyers will learn to quit using spot as their reference and start using Yesterdays physical price to make their purchasing decisions

For too long we have let bullion bank paper traders tell us what we should pay for physical metal. they are two entirely different markets and it appears this reality is evolving.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2022 11:22AM

@bronco2078 said:

@BobSav said:

why should any actual item go down in price if its owner refuses to take less than a certain number and is not forced to sell?

We had thos same discussion 11 years ago.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited May 6, 2022 11:17AM

Seller floats a Price, last hammer price determines the current value

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@Meltdown said:
    Here we go again... :D

Not today.

I presented the reality, floor is all his for some more fantasy

• Options

@cohodk said:

@bronco2078 said:

@BobSav said:

why should any actual item go down in price if its owner refuses to take less than a certain number and is not forced to sell?

i dont mean in a long term down trend. If spot goes down buyers except sellers to reprice lower and get upset when there are no fire sales. the big dealers freeze at the higher price or put out of stock signs up. The little guys do the same if they can.

until one side can force the other side to move there is no sale.

if the buyer is a small fry he pays up or does without.

most of the silver in question isn't being used by the purchaser so no harm done just be patient and keep your powder dry is my routine.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2022 1:04PM

There is no way that my physical silver is worth 15% LESS this week than it was on April 18.
    I would never sell for this hugely manipulated current price. And it looks to be going under $20.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@bronco2078 said:

@BobSav said:

The lost decade. Gutter premiums will be back in the gutter before too long. For now if you must, trade the paper variety. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

The lost decade. Gutter premiums will be back in the gutter before too long. For now if you must, trade the paper variety. RGDS!

Yet buyers continue to pay the higher premiums. LOL

I guess everyone is wrong about silver except for you. Have you ever been right about silver?

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

Yet buyers continue to pay the higher premiums. LOL

I guess everyone is wrong about silver except for you. Have you ever been right about silver?

I've got a few heavy green boxes that I will gladly transfer over to you anytime you are willing to take them at the current premium. Heck for you, I may even knock off a buck or $2. Interested?

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The confusion about silver "premium" can be reduced one thinks of it as collector premium.

The "nicer" the silver, (rarer, prettier, more popular, more liquid, etc) the more it tends to cost above melt value.

Collector premium fluctuates over time, and varies depending on the type of item.

Thought experiment: take any silver item, smash it flat with a sledgehammer. What you're destroying is "premium"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@Baley said:

Thought experiment: take any silver item, smash it flat with a sledgehammer. What you're destroying is "premium"

As physical silver it will still sell for a premium over spot just as do completely worn out pre-1965 silver US coins. The premium is for added value over a paper promise. Amount of premium is determined by demand. And yes, "pretty" adds to premium but nowhere near what perceived quality adds.

• Options

@Baley said:
    The confusion about silver "premium" can be reduced one thinks of it as collector premium.

The "nicer" the silver, (rarer, prettier, more popular, more liquid, etc) the more it tends to cost above melt value.

Collector premium fluctuates over time, and varies depending on the type of item.

did you take off for a while ?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of what you're destroying with your sledgehammer is utility, because now you will have melt it down, assay it, and re-fabricate it into a more recognizable form in order to make it easily tradeable. Almost the same as taking a sledgehammer to a Chevy or even a Tesla.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@derryb said:

perceived quality

Perception is fact. ;)

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

perceived quality

Perception is fact. ;)

What's the frequency Kenneth?

Have a nice day
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price of silver includes the production cost of the metal, the manufacturing cost to get the metal into a condition attractive to buyers and a premium based on the supply and demand of that finished item.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

perceived quality

Perception is fact. ;)

To the perceiver, but that doesn't mean you are correct.

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

.999 cant keep it in the shop, usually sells within 15 min. 90% cant give it away locally. I have to carry 50-100 face weekly to the refinery.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the frequency Kenneth?

:D

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2022 6:06AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

perceived quality

Perception is fact. ;)

To the perceiver, but that doesn't mean you are correct.

Great thread title, Bob. Seems youre not the only one confused.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2022 11:36AM

So much for silver and gold being a hedge against inflation 😂
    Edited to add if it’s going to turn around it better hurry up😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    So much for silver and gold being a hedge against inflation 😂

The worst hedge imaginable. I will not fall for the stupidity of it being an inflation hedge again. I fell for it once in 2011, and now again. lol

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver is down to $20.90 this morning. 😳

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Silver is down to $20.90 this morning. 😳

Even though I accept that the paper market is manipulated and a bit rigged it's still amazing to me how quickly it can be smacked down.