Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Newbie Garbage Pail Kids Collector

craigconleecraigconlee Posts: 4

Yes, I am a total noob doing this. Recently, I found my complete 2nd and 3rd Garbage Pail Kids Collection that I had collected when I was 11. I have a million questions as I am looking at how much they are selling for.
1. Why is there a huge disparity in prices for the same card?
- Is it because those cards are not certified?
2. If certified and in Mini Condition, what is the likelihood of those cards selling?
- Are people really buy them at that cost?
3. I have noticed for one of my cards costs $100 to be graded and certified. The 2nd and 3rd edition has a total of 167 cards. That is a lot of money. Do you recommend only certifying those with a high return?

Thank you for your patience.

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

Just replace every instance of Sportscard with Garbage!!

https://sportscardsrock.com/sport-card-grading-for-beginners/

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

If you collected these as an 11 year old, they are probably not worth grading. Most cards come out of the pack at an average of maybe PSA 8. When I found my collection of series 3, 4, and 5 sets a couple years, I sold them as sets on ebay for a good return. I didn't even bother trying to see if any were worth grading. For your series 3 cards, I'm gonna guess that very few cards would be worth grading and be worth more than $100 in PSA 9 condition. Series 2 may be a little different, but if you grade a few of the cards, then you've broken up the set.

Again, I would sell them as raw complete sets on ebay. Also, on ebay, there is a button to search for sold cards, not just asking prices. That is very, very valuable information.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Theres a lot that could affect grading on GPK cards. I agree with dontippet in that your best bet is to determine what condition they are in and run them as an auction. If you collected these when you were 11, depending on how well you took care of them I'd guess they are somewhere between VG and EX-MT

• Options
    scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't grade anything past Series 1 unless it was a surefire 9-10. I've got a few Series 1 at PSA right now, but not bothering with anything after that.

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • Options

Thanks for the comments and insights. FYI, I had them stored in a photo album and they look decent with no flaws... but, I am not sure what quality means, I guess. Yesterday, I found this site that says there is value in GK2. I guess there are a few that is selling for a pretty penny, but, that determines if they are top notch. https://www.pricecharting.com/console/1985-garbage-pail-kids

• Options

Why don't you post a few pics of some cards you think are of the best condition, front and back... Then we can tear you apart, I mean give you advice ;)

• Options

Some of the backs are worn.. Yea, give me some hazying!

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I will preface this by saying I have never submitted any GPK cards or have purchased any GPK cards that have been graded.

What I do know is that not only do the white borders come into play when considering centering, but the stickers do themselves. Any cards with even the slightest ding on the corners will immediately reduce your grade. So find all of those first. Then look for any surface issues. Any stains from gum or just grubby hands (ha!) will come into play. Wrinkles in the card will make a difference as well. Finally look at the sticker centering. Soft Boiled Sam and Cracked Jack are shifted to the right, whereas Bad Breath Seth looks pretty good to me. However Seth has some edge wear on the top center and a dinged upper left corner.

All these cards have issue. Based on what the others say, I'd probably best avoid grading these. That's not to say they are worthless. Not everyone only collects graded cards. If they were mine I'd put them in penny sleeves and Card Saver 1s or top loaders and enjoy them as they are.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

58a may be your best condition card, and I highly doubt it would grade an 8. To get a 9 or 10, your corners have to be super crisp, along with other attributes. Even if you look high end cards at 10x magnification, the corners would have to look almost perfect. I would guess that most of yours would grade in the 3-5 range. Take a look at some PSA 9 and 10's on ebay and compare them to your cards and you will start to see the differences. I would not send any of your GPK's to PSA.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2022 3:32PM

Looks like a bunch of garbage ;) Nothing worth grading.... Ebay listing or goodwill donation. I doubt 58a could even get a 7....

• Options

Ahh. Bummer. Thanks for the feedback! Saved some money to get these graded.

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

I just received a number of these back. Similar series and even some of the same cards. And feel nice about having got them in for $12. I still have a nice stack would have been nice to submit then. They might just fit into that category of cards that wont make sense to submit unless the price per card went down to $20 and even then maybe not a great idea. But you know, they probably remind you of some good times so maybe just hold them and look over them every now and again and enjoy them. Might be valued more by you than someone else.