Home Q & A Forum
Options

1983 P nickel what is going on with the Finish?

JWPJWP Posts: 17,628 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found this 1983 P Jefferson nickel in a roll that I got from the bank. Not quite sure what's going on with this nickel. The Finish looks like maybe it's kind of burnished. The other thing is the lettering specially on the reverse looks even stranger. Now this Jefferson came out of a circulated roll and it does have a Nick in the rim to the left of Monticello. It does have some wear but I just can't figure out why the finish and the lettering is the way it is. Appreciate any help or opinions that anybody may have. Thanks for your time

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Best Answers

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2022 5:27PM Answer ✓

Orange peel effect.

Extremely worn dies. Common on nickels from that era.

I've seen and spent literally millions of them 🤔 over the years. But now I'd save a decent one as an example if I were to come across one.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@JBK said:
    Orange peel effect.

I've seen and spent literally millions of them 🤔 over the years. But now I'd save a decent one as an example if I were to come across one.

I have ever heard of the before. I take it from your comment that this just a common event. It is hard to believe that this nickel was still in circulation in this condition. Thanks, learn something every day.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Answers

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes the dies in the early 80s were pushed to their limit and beyond.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it helps ...I know it's here somewhere...?
    I'm sure it's here,
    I called it (her) Blast White finished.
    You just can't...miss that effect.
    Jeanne ? Open pictures please.
    "Stand Bye a day or 2. "over."

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, that effect appears on Jeffs and Buffs. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

@JBK said:
    Orange peel effect.

I have ever heard of the before. I take it from your comment that this just a common event. It is hard to believe that this nickel was still in circulation in this condition. Thanks, learn something every day.

The last image, I think, exterminated the die.
    This may help but not the one I was referring to.