Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

USPS package dropped off at UPS...DON'T DO THIS (RANT)

fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Backstory...I was out of town and sold something. I had my wife package and my son mail for me. Result: lost package.

Here is my explanation to the buyer when issued the refund.

"Hi ....,

I just checked with UPS and USPS. They cannot track it because it was never scanned so I (they) have no idea where it might be. It was dropped off Thursday, April 21. I cannot file a claim with either party. Maybe by some grace it will arrive. I have no confidence therefore I am issuing a refund. I apologize sincerely. The moral of the story...never let someone do for you what you should do yourself. Also, never drop a USPS package at UPS for pickup. For some unknown reason, USPS does not scan the packages when they pick up at UPS. It's kind of like USPS doesn't have customers sign for signature required packages, or ring a doorbell to let you know something is at the door."

I have never heard of dropping off a package at UPS for USPS pickup. Since they don't scan at UPS and apparently USPS doesn't scan upon their pickup if something happens then you're SOL.

Freddie

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.

Comments

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 8:17AM

Yes usps don’t scan it for drop off unless you get inline and ask to scan it for a receipt but ups usually scan it for drop off. So as FedEx will scan it for drop off. I don’t know about pick up. I never do pick up

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm,
    While I rarely drop my packages in the bin at USPS, When I do they always scan them in. Nice to live with 3 good Post Offices nearby! I couldn't imagine dropping of a USPS package at UPS. That would seem to invite sticky fingers to me!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it is really hit or miss with respect to how shippers do things. I have never dropped off a package at UPS that I wanted specifically shipped through the USPS so I cannot comment on that part of the story. However, I have also never had either FedEx, UPS or USPS take a package and not scan it right away. Perhaps this is because they know me and know I want it scanned, perhaps it is because I live in an out of the way area or perhaps I am just lucky.

Regardless, I agree; package and ship the items yourself unless you are comfortable eating the loss.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file