Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What if the US Mint sold error coins?

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the mint pulled all the error coins produced and sold them on their website, wouldn't this have a dramatic impact on the error market?
Would the whole point of errors be kind of defeated?
It seems to me that without all the hunting and smuggling and shenanigans, most of the appeal would vanish... 🤔

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    If the mint pulled all the error coins produced and sold them on their website, wouldn't this have a dramatic impact on the error market?
    It seems to me that without all the hunting and smuggling and shenanigans, most of the appeal would vanish... 🤔

What a great idea. Perhaps they could even make then to order. I would order an AGE struck on a half dollar planchett. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

What if the US Mint sold error coins?

Please do NOT give them any ideas!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

They wouldn’t waste their time but it would dramatically impact the market. More people would buy but the prices would plummet. More might be made to order as well.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 7:23AM

Never gunna happen as the US Mint prides itself on producing high quality coins.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris said:

“ Never gunna happen as the US Mint prides itself on producing high quality coins.”

Obvious answer!

But people can fantasize about it.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

On the other hand, if the U.S. Mint does decide to strike mint errors, maybe they will start with 1943 copper Cents and 1944 Zinc/Steel Cents😉

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s not going to happen. I think that’s even illegal to do that.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok, who gave the mint this idea already :(

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Never gunna happen as the US Mint prides itself on producing high quality coins.

You mean never going to happen again* Fantastic errors have been back door produced multiple times over the years and I doubt they were done without resale in mind. It would also be a bit naïve to think it could never happen again even on the up & up, that is basically what the waffle coins were.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:

But people can fantasize about it.

It kind of dawned on me how important the mystique of these coins some how, clandestinely, appearing on the market from "who knows where" is
    to collectors interest level.
    It's all good to me as is.
    I'd love to own a few early mint errors and those certainly won't be made again by the mint anytime soon.
    The rest are sometimes fun to look at but not the stuff my fantasies are made of..😄

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they're made intentionally then they're not errors, are they?

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:

Forget it, Jake- it's Chinatown.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarkKelley said:

No. These would be errors produced during normal coin production. Currently, they are destroyed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:

Your point is well taken.

How about these? I believe the mint produces them. I don't think they are selling them directly to the public but they sure are getting out into the market place!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on some of the coins I've received it looks like they already do!

• Options
    edited April 29, 2022 5:33PM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file