Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

1920 Chinese "fat Man" coin - what to look for and what makes one a "Military Issue?"

Hello,

Estate sale near me shows a "1920 'Fat Man' $1 coin" accepting bids over $300."

I know this is an often counterfeit coin and my "Krause World Coins" book shows many varieties. But the PCGS entry for a "Military Issue" makes me wonder how would one know if they had a "Military Issue" version?

The picture on the sale website is middle of the road. I don't have the expertise to tell on these coins and don't plan to bid but want to learn about the military issue.

Thank you

Comments

• Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

There isn’t one specific die pair for the military issue varieties of this or any other type. They are crude in nature, and could be easily misidentified as counterfeit. Most military fat man dollar are year 3, although years 9 and 10 do exist as well. This is a very advanced area of Chinese numismatics. Very few people can attribute and authenticate these coins.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless it is certified by a major TPG ... pass. Beware of "estate" sales.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bring your magnet to that sale cause it's gonna speak volumes. Beware and good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52