Home Q & A Forum
Options

Numismatic Photography advice?

CentSearcherCentSearcher Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
edited April 28, 2022 6:14AM in Q & A Forum

I was recently given a new camera (Canon EOS Rebel T3) along with several lenses, so I want to start working on my coin photography. Does anybody have any advice? And does anybody have an affordable lighting system that they recommend?

I'm mainly going to be working with toned Lincoln Cents, circulation strikes and proofs.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some excellent photo threads that you can locate by using the search feature. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2022 9:04PM

There is a Micro camera listed on many sites . The cost is approx. 20.00. Micro only as far as I know covering 2/3 of a us cent.
    Very easy to figure out (in 2 min.). The app is automatic. It comes with a plastic stand which I broke the first week.
    That was a blessing because it made me design a better way.
    Can't go wrong spending 20 dollars for the education with PC storage.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully, the Canon SW came with your setup.
    If so, load it on to your PC and then use the mouse and your monitor to take close-ups.
    However, it would be a good idea to use a true macro lens.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Look forward to any photos you share as being able to take great coin pics for posting is something I myself am interested in. I just can't seem to get the quality I want with my phone.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    CascadecoinsCascadecoins Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    edited May 9, 2022 5:08PM

Get yourself some dedicated LED lights. I have these and they are great. https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Dimmable-Adjustable-Tabletop-Photography/dp/B07T8FBZC2

Get yourself either a copy stand, or a tripod with a pan head that can point straight down (you may have to counterweight the tripod if you have a heavy lens).

Find the minimum focus distance on your longest telephoto lens (macro lens if you have it).

Plug your T3 into your computer with the USB cable and use the remote shooting software. Shoot RAW if you have the disk space. Maxium JPEG is a minium for image quality and resolution.

Elevate the subject coin to that distance from the lens.

Experiment with the camera's manual settings. Most lenses are sharpest from f/7-f/11 which you need a longer shutter exposure time. Use mirror lockup so the camera doesn't shake and cause blur. Don't use an ISO above 100 if possible.

Gimp.org is a free software app
    pixlr.com is a free web photo editor

Use software for basic cropping and exposure fine tuning. Don't over manipulate the photos.

Youtube has lots of basic camera setup instructions for macro photography and the software tools.

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tag

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to test what's your pictures look like oh, go to the testing for him and you can load your pictures there and see how they show up. You can test all you want and some members May comment on your photos but this is a great place to hone your skills and see what they actually look like on this forum. Good luck as I know taking pictures isn't my strong point but it is still a work-in-progress for myself as it is for many others too. :)

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members