Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Reprints--which cards are most difficult to spot fakes???

BobbyC79BobbyC79 Posts: 6

When buying raw cards online or in person which card sets (if any) are you most cautious about accidentally getting a fake and/or reprint? I understand the '66 and '67 Topps baseball has some pretty common reprints that are identical to the originals. The '55 Topps also does I think, but the lack of aging would distinguish those pretty easily I assume.

Recently I saw a '58 Topps All Star Ted Williams reprint though, and it looked identical to an aged original. The seller said the paper is different of course and the back is much smoother on the RP. Difficult to conclude that just from the picture though, and it makes me think I should not chance buying too many ungraded cards online.

Any thoughts on this??? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

there has been a huge problem with the 80s star basketball sets. to the point where PSA will not grade them.

there are also some very convincing Brady Contenders rookie reprints. The NNOF Frank Thomas has been reprinted as well.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    there has been a huge problem with the 80s star basketball sets. to the point where PSA will not grade them.

there are also some very convincing Brady Contenders rookie reprints. The NNOF Frank Thomas has been reprinted as well.

Thats crazy! I thought at the least when a card was handled and seen up close in the light it would be easy to spot a replica, much like spotting a counterfeit bill.

Probably best to stick with buying authenticated cards unless from trusted sellers, but even then tough to say if you or they can really know for sure.

• Options
    Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

All my years of sportscards.... I'd say the anything from 60s down. It's easier to spot modern with colors.