Home Sports Talk
Options

Andrew Luck was drafted 10 years ago today

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andrew Luck was drafted 10 years ago today to replace Peyton Manning as the Colts quarterback, he retired early due to suffering from so many injuries. I can't help but wonder, would he have a Super Bowl ring by now? Do you think he made the right decision to retire so early? The coach of the Cincinnati Bengals, Zac Taylor, recently said that Andrew Luck is still the greatest draft prospect he has ever scouted, and had this to say about Andrew Luck -

“He was just the total package. Size, speed, strength, football IQ, tangibles, background, productivity at Stanford. It was just the total package.”

Comments

• Options

I still remember that 28 point comeback against the Chiefs in the playoffs.

• Options

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let me "sleep on it" and tomorrow I'll let you know how I feel about the decennial anniversary of Andrew Luck being drafted.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

he is still young enough. I wonder if he will ever make a comeback?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2022 4:38PM

Well, Andrew Luck is 32 years old now, and I always enjoyed watching him play, I remember he retired at the age of 29 just before the 2019 season because he was just tired of constantly being in pain and pissing up blood, he had a lacerated kidney and was injured a lot and he said that he just no longer enjoyed the game because of the constant pain from the injuries. He has a degree from Stanford in architectural design, he's a father now, and seems to be really happy, so I don't know if he'll return or not. I sure wouldn't mind, I would have loved to see him play against Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, and some of the other great quarterbacks.

• Options

As a Hoosier I can say the whole ordeal was painful. We found our quarterback but there was to many injuries and to much politics

• Options

Could have been our next manning

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt he'd have a Super Bowl by now - it's not like he was going to get any healthier if he continued playing. It's unfortunate that his legacy is tainted (to some) by his late retirement and the reaction so many Colts fans had toward him. Luck was a victim of his own toughness - by not letting people know about every single injury he ever went through, like some athletes do, he let people think he wasn't seriously injured and wasn't tough when the reality is that he'd been dealing with severe injuries for a long time.

• Options

The injuries definately would have continued, I think he made the right decision to retire, he saved himself a lot of health problems in the future. It's a shame people attacked him for his decision.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    The injuries definately would have continued, I think he made the right decision to retire, he saved himself a lot of health problems in the future. It's a shame people attacked him for his decision.

I agree. I would like to see the colts get a solid line up again

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

Complete waste of a draft pick

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember in 2012, most experts had the colts taking either Luck or RG3. I think between those 2, the colts took the right guy. of course, hindsight and all...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Are you saying that solely in light of his early retirement?

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭✭

He was a really good player.....just not elite. The injuries took away his opportunities. His decision to retire was probably very smart. He made a ton of money and was in pain.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Injuries are part of the game and at least he did produce on the field. Yes, he did not take the Colts to the Super Bowl, and that is disappointing, but not a failure. At the end of the day, career earnings in the 100m+ range is a big win in my book and his family is set for multiple generations.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Are you saying that solely in light of his early retirement?

100%

They expected big things from him and it just didn’t happen. I think if he played longer they potentially could have had a winner but in my opinion I never thought much of Luck being a true leader with a passion to really want a ring.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I think it's more accurate that they wasted the picks after him. Instead of giving him a decent line through the draft, or signing good free agents, they let him take a beating. Picking Luck was absolutely the right call - and he played top-flight football his final season - but they didn't build around him.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@perkdog said:

I think it's more accurate that they wasted the picks after him. Instead of giving him a decent line through the draft, or signing good free agents, they let him take a beating. Picking Luck was absolutely the right call - and he played top-flight football his final season - but they didn't build around him.

I don't know enough to confirm what you are saying, but I can say that I have picked up bits of this info over the years. AFAIK, one of Luck's great
    traits, or perhaps mistakes, was never letting on about injuries and playing through them. As a result he wasn't known as the warrior that perhaps he was. And if he had been, he would have been seen differently when he eventually did retire.