Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Epic Barry Bonds Century Signature Back From Grading

I just submitted my first 5 baseball cards for grading. Ever. Probably at one of the worst times in history, cost-wise. I thought $100 per card was unimaginable, and then it got way way worse from there. Another story for another time...

This was the one triumph of the sub, the only card deemed mint. I know that this forum tacks a little older than than certain social media platforms. So I figured the card might get more appreciation here. Did I just call you old? Maybe, but if so, only respectfully!

I understand that Bonds was a controversial player who draws lots of strong opinions. Remember, though, that even in 1999, he was in the Albert Belle-most-hated-players-for-mostly-media-related-reasons category and yet he was considered by well-respected historians at The Sporting News to be already the 34th greatest player of all time. The best active player in the game. Before any credible whiff of controversy.

Then Maddux (39), Gwynn (49), Henderson (51), Clemens (53), Ripken (78), McGwire (91), and Griffey (93).

I think Gwynn and McGwire were a tad high there, personally. What do you say?

Anyways, I only realized today that the numbering is 034/100, so I think that's pretty cool since it matches his ranking. If I could have any card graded a 10 out of 10, only the #25/100 would've been sweeter to have in this specific set.

Of the total population graded with PSA, only 10 cards across all players, in the more limited /100 parallel Century (gold) set, were awarded a PSA 10...of players that were completely pack released. Berra (3), McCovey (2), Bench (2), and Fisk were released partly in packs and partly as redemptions, which would likely lead to better conditioned cards since many were never packed out and instead just sent directly through the mail. Just a cool little wrinkle for anyone who likes to look at pop count patterns.

Questions for you knowledgeable historians - is that Tigers Stadium back there? Who's standing on the mound? What year was that picture taken?

If this is TL;DR, I got a cool baseball card graded. I really like it. Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alan, that is a fantastic card. congrats on the grade!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I've always liked that set. Something about the faded out background and the players signing in the right spot. The signatures really pop.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Alan, that is a fantastic card. congrats on the grade!!

I really appreciate that David!> @swish54 said:

I've always liked that set. Something about the faded out background and the players signing in the right spot. The signatures really pop.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I do love the auto quality on there

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an absolutely beautiful card! Congratulations!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:

I totally agree

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning card. Despite my Balco handle, I am a very big Bonds fan. I happened to have lived in Bay Area during all the noise. He was his own worst enemy.

Anyway, If you ever want to part with the card, I will gladly overpay / overtrade. :)

Congrats!

Steve

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RiceBondsMntna2Young Love these epic signature cards and congrats on the 10

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

I appreciate it and thank you!

@Goldenage said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

I totally agree

Thanks for stopping by to show some love.

@balco758 said:
    Stunning card. Despite my Balco handle, I am a very big Bonds fan. I happened to have lived in Bay Area during all the noise. He was his own worst enemy.

Anyway, If you ever want to part with the card, I will gladly overpay / overtrade. :)

Congrats!

Steve

Thanks Steve, I’ll keep it in mind but my MO has never been to move a Bonds card unless it’s a dupe. And yes he certainly was and is his own worst enemy. Bonds and the media that cover him are enemies 1A and 1B. Unthinking masses and inertia are probably 2A and 2B.

@hankcaddy said:
    @RiceBondsMntna2Young Love these epic signature cards and congrats on the 10

Thank you, it was a great time for them to put together a legends set. There were still so many legends of multiple eras to hard sign the set.