Home Sports Talk
Options

College ESports

VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I was reading an article this morning about a local college adding Esports as a varsity option for students. The article mentions that "Collegiately, esports is overseen by the National Association of Collegiate Esports. Formed in 2016, the nonprofit association has more than 170 member schools combining for more than 5,000 student-athletes, according to its website. NACE has also provided more than $16 million in scholarships and aid to student-athletes".

I have to disagree with the usage of the terms "sports" and "student-athletes". Are people that play video games really "student-athletes" playing a "sport"? Or is this just colleges trying to compete for students?

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

For years now, this is something that has been brewing. There are teams, leagues, competitions, viewers, etc.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that doesn't really answer your question. 🤷😂

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally agree with you Vikingdude. Playing a video game should not make you a "student-athlete". Often I think about following the money on these things and if these schools believe this will add to their bottom lines then it will be attempted imho,

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, let's just go ahead and make watching TV a sport as well, who can watch the most episodes of Green Acres, let's get it on!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

And now, a glimpse at the student athlete in the year 2036.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next thing will be dartball players considered as student-athletes lol.

I played video games when I was a kid and then turned 18. Haven't played since.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21