Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Help identifying autograph on ball

Hello
I inherited a ball with the following autograph and I can't figure it out. The only clue I have is:
It's on a 1976 Lee MacPhail Spalding OAL Baseball.

Comments

• totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Rod Carew

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Rod Carew for sure

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Thank you. You guys rock.

• I figured it would be easier to bump this post to ask a question about the ball. I apologize if this isn't correct educate for this forum.
    What do you think the value of this ball would be? Especially being on a 1 year ball and the only year Spalding was on a American League ball? I don't have a a C.O.A. but there is a photo of my uncle getting the autograph in 1977.
    Thanks

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

if you have a photo of your uncle getting the autograph, why was it necessary to ask for assistance in identifying the autograph?

• My aunt just told me she found the photo and he had written on the back my favorite player. This was the reason I wanted to figure out what it's worth. I'm going to send the ball back to her.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

the sentimental value far exceeds any monetary one

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • I agree and I doubt it will get sold. But my cousin told me he wanted to tell my aunt the value so she does keep it😄

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

It's a $20 ball. No COA, no HOF inscription, and not signed in correct pen for longevity all hurt the value. Plus Carew is still making rounds signed all over the card show circuit, so his signature isn't rare by any means. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't bled yet if it's as old as you say it is. The photo is cool from a sentimental standpoint, but doesn't really add any value on the secondary market.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd put the value at around the $50 - $75 range, minimum.

First it's a mid-1970s Spalding ball. Carew won the batting title every year from 1972-1978, except for 1976 when he finished 3rd with a .331 average (George Brett hit .333 and Hal McRae hit .332 that year). He hit .388 in 1977. So the ball is from his peak years.

Second, the autograph is one of the nicer ones you'll find. The ball is 45 years old and shows no signs of fading. I doubt it'll fade any at this point in time, as long as it is kept out of direct sunlight.

Steve

• Thank you Steve I appreciate you taking the time

swish seriously? Even though 1977 was arguably his greatest year, dont you think it would have been pretty presumptuous to put HOF on ball? "not signed in correct pen for longevity" are these the rules according to swish I think the autograph speaks for itself. And like Steve said it's 45 years old and hasn't faded or bled I seriously doubt it's going now. No COA I guess my uncle could of said hay Rod can you sign this piece of paper to tell people you sighed this ball?
    The HOF balls are a dime a dozen since he basically put it on every ball he signed after 1991 which is when he was signing 1000s of balls. I personally (and I know allot of others) that would rather have a ball signed in the peak of a players career. Especially since allot of the older HOF balls signed by players in their latter years can get a little shaky but if that's what you like; To each his own.

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

If you're not prepared for the answers you're going to get, then don't ask the questions and look on 130point like I did so you can see for yourself what they sell for. You'll find many Carew signed baseballs to choose from that sell for around the price I stated. Like ironmanfan said, the sentimental value clearly exceeds the monetary value.
    "correct pen for longevity" no, those are not my rules, but in the autograph community, black sharpie signed baseballs aren't preferred because they tend bleed over time or get a yellow outline. It's a blue bic pen that is preferred and fetch more money because they don't fade and are more aesthetically appealing. If you go to an autograph signing, they NEVER sign baseballs in sharpie (blue or black), only blue bic pen....wonder why??? lol
    "no coa" PSA/DNA, JSA, Beckett would be a great way to get a COA from an IP autograph after the fact, which adds the most value. COA's from most other sources (i.e. the general public Joe) are only worth the weight of the paper their printed on....that's pretty common knowledge.
    "hof inscription" Any inscription, except for a personalization, adds value over a basic name signature, that's why they charge more for them at shows and are reluctant to add them if you're not paying for them.
    If you personally know so many people that would like to have that ball and pay up for it, then sell it to one of them and don't ask people you don't know all these questions because you're clearly not prepared for the possible answers you will get.