Home Sports Talk
Options

It appears the Red Sox organization isn't making much effort to lock up Bogaerts and Devers

MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 10:37AM in Sports Talk

Without posting lengthy comments from Sports analysts, the long and short of it is that the bulb inside the head of one Chaim Bloom appears to not be burning too brightly. Writers have made multiple comments that offers made to Bogaerts are "insulting" and appear not to be in the best interests of signing him prior to the Aug 2 deadline, or whatever our illustrious Commissioner decides it to be. Bogearts will be a FA this year, and I'm sure his agent is telling him that a bigger pot of gold can be found elsewhere. It also appears that history of Red Sox managemet ineptitude is lurking as the sting from signing uber contracts to both one Pablo (aka El Sapo) Sandoval and David (I took you to the cleaners) Price, not to mention a host of other signings have the current management nervous about repeat. However, IMO, both Bogearts and Devers are worthy of matching or exceeding like player salaries.

Devers has agreed, as I understand it, to another year with the team. However, as his skills improve, I suspect he will be a very highly valued target for all MLB teams when the time comes.

Memo to Bloomy...step up and sign these guys!!

Comments

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 2:49PM

What will it take to sign these guys maybe $30,000,000 each for 10 years.
    That would be what I figure it will cost with the prices escalating the way they are.
    I doubt the sox will go that high!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    What will it take to sign these guys maybe $3,000,000 each for 10 years.
    That would be what I figure it will cost with the prices escalating the way they are.
    I doubt the sox will go that high!

I think you missed a zero.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2022 2:52PM

What a difference a ZERO makes in this case !
    That look better?

• Options

More realistic for sure.

• Options

They may come up to the plate for Devers but ai doubt if they will for Bogaerts as they have Story lined up for that job.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    They may come up to the plate for Devers but ai doubt if they will for Bogaerts as they have Story lined up for that job.

Disagree. I think they will tender both, but I doubt it'll be enough, nobodys gonna take a haircut in their prime. Just because Story is a known commodity at short, that would leave a hole a 2nd that Bloomy has to fill. Of course he could get a cheap deal for that slot, but why not go with 3 excellent players at 3rd, short and 2nd? I suspect Bloomy will mess this one up and royally piss off the Red Sox faithful. I think their problem is at first, not sure Dalbec is the guy there. Time will tell.

The overall problem is (IMO), players reps who have jacked prices into the stratosphere because they get a very nice slice of the pie. History tells us that money does not ensure performance, this story is blatantly obvious over and over and over again. That is the fallacy of paying up front for a future expectation, when in fact a more realistic contract scenario should allow for these obscene contracts to be based on season ending performance. Previous contracts have now put the Red Sox into a financial hole, which puts sand in the gears of making viable offers to those they really want to keep. All this crap can be laid at the feet of the stupid deals made by former GMs, or whatever fancy title those in power held. The money still owed to former players is insane.

• Options
    edited April 23, 2022 6:46AM

You are right in your observations . Bloomy has his hands full of problems to be sorted out. He does have some promising prospects coming up in the minors but they are still green players. Dalbec is a great fielder but can not hit his way out of a paper bag. We shall see if management will find its way to pay these guys what they are do or not.

One thing for sure, it is going to be a bumpy ride this year and hopefully the team makes the right decisions going forward, I will be watching them all the way.